Normal water loss rate

Charley,

I think what you've explained is right on the money. My water loss is about 1/3-1/2 per day. And I noticed that some days it lost more, some days less. I also did not think that the bucket test is the answer in some cases, just because of what you've explained.

The GOOD NEWS is, I've found what was causing the loss. Basically the returned valve was the problem as Mark thought it was. However, this was a strange one, because I did replace the return valve with the new one, but the water loss in the spa still occurred. However, this was what I did. I opened the returned valve, then I sealed all gasket and the internal rubber flap with the gasket sealer for an air tight seal. THen I put back the return valve. After that there has been no water loss in the spa. The pool, however, has 1/3-1/2 inch of water loss per day. I did not see any leak so I assume that this is the normal water loss rate.

The return valve is the one that looks like the Jandi valve without the handle. Thanks to everyone who has given me input.

I still lost about 1/2 inch of water a day. My brother who lives in San Francisco, where it is colder lost only 1 inch a week. I remember that the water loss used to be a lot less few years ago...so I'm sure there is some water loss somewhere. Just looked at the areas around the pool...all dry, no sign of leaking... this makes me think that the leak is somewhere in the drain at the bottom of the bottom in deep end. I'll just order the fix-a-leak and see if that helps.

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestion. Thanks.

The bucket test will not tell always the truth, unless you use a wide diameter bucket and keep it even with water surface as much as possible. Otherwise the wind effect on the water in the bucket is much less than on the pool surface.
I completely agree with this. That's why the bucket test should always be performed so the conditions are virtually identical. Best is a sheet rock bucket filled to the rim and set on a step just an inch or so above the pool water. Done in that manner, the bucket test is absolutely dependable.

Same as a 5 gallon paint bucket from Home Depot or Lowes. But really any bucket will do as long as it is the right height so the lip is just above the water level when placed on a step.

we just put our pool up ourselves and im freaking out over it as well. we are losing about .25 of a inch every 2 days. we have a 24ft agp and i dont see water on the ground becouse we burried the pool 10 inches on one side and almost 18 on the other to get it level. we did the pool pad and cove and at least 6 layers of tape over the bolts lol. only place i think it oculd be would be the skimmer or return gaskets becouse we had an issue with both. might do the food color around those 2 spots and see what happens.
weather conditions here have been windy 10-20 mph gust for almost a week and highs in the low 70s.
so when the poster said before winds will cause you to lose water faster that was nice to hear. ill just keep an eye on the water and compare it to the weather conditions in a 2 day pattern. any advice would also be welcomed.

If you want to know if the outflow from the pipe is from your pool, bring your pool to shock level, hold it there for a cpl days, then test that outflow as of it was pool water. High cc would indicate it was pool water. Zero or really low tc or cc would indicate its just runoff.

But a bucket test is the tell for a leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, just want to update the status and this might be useful for others who have same issue. Bought the fix-a-leak 32ounce bottle 2 weeks ago, but did not use it because I had to go on vacation. Back from vacation 2 days ago, took out the earth filter in the tank, ran the pump, poured that s...tuff in the pool, where there are suction outlets (skimmer, robot suction inlet, spa, and some at the deep end of the pool where there is a drain). Ran the pump for about 12 hours, shut it off, mark the water line with a pencil.

This morning, eager to see if that fixed the issue, Lord and behold, it works!!!!! the water level is the same as yesterday, and it appears to be no noticeable water loss, not like before, there used to be about 1/2 inch waterloss a day!

WOW, can't believe this stuff works. Now all I have to do is to run the pump some more to ensure that this is really fixed. Then need to make sure to remove all excess fix-a-leak stuff and then put back the filter and I think I will be OK. Hope that the fix will last a while...if not I will get another bottle.

If you're going to use this, make sure to follow the instructions from the mfgr.

Thanks to all those who have helped!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.