Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Duct tape and fixing a hot tub cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Duct tape and fixing a hot tub cover

I have a 6 year old hot tub cover that is fairly well worn. Seams are now ripping. The skirt has shrunk so that it does not fit over the edge of the spa...it just collapses between the cover and the spa top.

So...if I really don't care how the hot tub top looks....

Is duct tape a real alternative to getting a new top? I thought I could remove the skirt and use duct tape up the seams to get alot more life from the top.

Or is this just a very temporary bandage and I will end up getting a new top in 6 months?

BTW...I live in southwest florida. If that makes a difference.
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Duct tape and fixing a hot tub cover

I'd use Gorilla tape but even that is going to be a very temporary fix.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

you can use a product called "Peel and Seal", find it at the roofing store. It comes in a 3' wide roll and when applied to a cover and left in the sunshine for a few minutes, is virtually indestructible for 3 yrs or more! NO JOKE. it comes in a few different colors as well.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks...
    3 extra years sounds good. I will look it up instead of duct tape.
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida