CH test problems

ROB N

Nov 26, 2010
Calera, Al
I have run my CH test several times with the same results. I add the 20 drops of r0010, 5 drops of r0011 and nothing happens the sample stays clear. I have tried it as both regular 25 ml and as a 10 ml test. I even tried it on plain tap water with the same result... Could it be that my r0011 has gone bad? The bottle does not appear stained and is less than a year old and has been stored properly along with the rest of the kit.
Fc=6.5
Cc= 0
Tc=6.5
Ph=7.5
Ta=70
Cya=30
We have had a lot of rain and I have not added water in months, the pool is open all year and water is now at 55*

Richard320 said:
It should turn pinkish at least. How can you add colored reagent to water and have it disappear?

Double check the bottles. R-0010 is clear. R-0011 is purple and thick. R-0012 is clear.
Yes, I have double checked and you are correct. But the r0111 does not have any effect. It is as if it has never been added.... We have many lime plants near our house and plenty of calcium in the water and the test reagents show no change on the tap water tests... :scratch:

The R-0011 in my TF-100 barely turns my sample a very light shade of purple. It's hard to see, but the drops of R-0012 eventually will change the sample to a different color--in my case a shade of blue from the original light purple. I just tested my CH and I got 550, which has been stable. I'm assuming my drops are still good--the kit is a little less than one year old and the kit is properly stored.

I'm assuming my drops are still good
Yeah, as long as you get the color change, your test is working. Rob is apparently getting no initial color at all.....faint or not.

Mine tests pretty faint, but nevertheless, discernible enough to give me a valid result.

We'll have to get chem geek or Jason in here to get a really good answer but his situation is very puzzling. Like you said, it seems his R-0011L is actually "disappearing" when he puts it into the pool water. I don't understand how that can be occurring.

Meanwhile, the simple thing we have done is shipped OP another bottle of R-0011L to see if that fixes his problem. If it does, then we'll know more but right now, I am at a loss.

R-0011L Calcium Hardness Indicator: This solution should be a deep blue color. Any other color is an indication of replacement.
http://taylortechnologies.com/product_f ... fe_web.pdf
There could be some sort of interference from a contaminant. Perhaps copper or iron. Try the test using 10 drops of the R-0012 first and then do the test as normal. Count the original 10 drops as part of the total number of drops needed to change the color.

Are there any floating pink or purple specks in the water after you add the R-0011?

I'd still try adding a couple drops of Sodium Thiosulfate (the clear drops used to start a TA test) to the sample before testing. When testing CH, my samples are always clear until I started doing this, then I can test as normal. I've also had success with this when the reagents were a year old or more.

It might work for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: CH test problems *UPDATE*

Just wanted to provise an update to my problem and the solution. First, I want to thank Dave and Meg, at tftestkits.net, thanks for the wonderful customer service in helping me find my solution to this problem! :goodjob: Dave sent me a new bottle of R-0011L, I immediately noticed there was a color difference between the two bottles. My original r-0011L had a more reddish tint and was slightly transparent than the new bottle, which was a very dark purple. I re ran my tests and came up with great results! Problem solved!! :party:
New test results:
Fc:4
Cc:0
Tc:4
Ph:7.5
TA:70
Ch:280
Cya:30

I was just about to start a post about having the exact same problem. CH test used to work but last 2 times I tried it I got no color change when putting in the R-0011L. I thought I was doing something wrong... :)

Brad Owen said:
I was just about to start a post about having the exact same problem. CH test used to work but last 2 times I tried it I got no color change when putting in the R-0011L. I thought I was doing something wrong... :)
Brad, look at your R0011 does it look like a dark red wine? That is what mine resembled. It did not stain the bottle but was obviously a lighter shade than the newer R0011...

It does look very dark and almost like it has become more viscous. Not really thick, but it looks like it has some extra body to it. About the consistency of decent soup. A new bottle is on its way, thanks tftestkits!, so I'll be able to better describe the differences when I can compare the two.

Taylor confirms a quality control issue with lot 4064E of reagent R-0011L. Reagent should be replaced.

I beleive I saw a picture somewhere here on the forum of a bad sample of R0011L, can't find it now though. Anyone knows where it is?

Just got my new R-0011L. Much better. Here is a comparison:

6863598037_ae5b55c93c_z.jpg

If yours looks like the one on the right, time to get a new one. I was getting extremely high calcium numbers with the old reagent. I had to go back and up the PH and TA to get the CSI back in line.

I'm pretty sure this has been covered before but just to confirm. My sample does not go from pink to blue it goes from pink to clear. That is still ok right? I've got the mag stirrer now so it not from lack of stirring. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.