Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing after a storm

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing after a storm

We just had storms move through here this morning, we had 2.75 inches in the rain gauge.
    I tested the PH and FC.

Ph 8.2 very purple
    FC 6.5

Yesterday it was

Ph 7.5
    FC 6

I guess its the rain that raised the PH, will this come down on its own or do I need to add some MA?

Thanks
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing after a storm

We received about an 1.25 inches this morning and my Ph did not rise at all. It stayed right around 7.4 from the day before. Did you run your pump after the storm? I would make sure you run it, test again and then if it is still high I would add MA. BTW I didn't need to add any after the last big storm on 1/9 either. During that storm we had over 7 inches of rain.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Confirm your test results because rain should not have that much affect on pH. Nevertheless, if your pH is higher than 7.8, bring it down with muriatic acid. It will not come down on it's own.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

duraleigh I retested and same results, I had started the pump as mentioned by Flippy so I just added the MA.

I'm confused as I use a pool log that I got from Bama. I record my reading daily as I'm still learning.
    What could have made it go that high?
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Must be the BS content in those Texas rains...

Sorry, being from NM I couldn't resist!
    J.Ollman
    18k gallon, in-ground gunite, attached spa, sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

What could have made it go that high?
    Well, Pool monitor's idea may have merit ( ) but probably the most important thing is not to worry too much about what caused it.

What's really important is that you tested and found the issue and know how to correct it. Bring it back on down and keep an eye on it...rain or not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

There's no way to tell without ALL the readings, but I will hazard a guess. You probably have high TA. Heavy rains - the kind that make it look like the pool is boiling - aerate it, which drives up the pH. As a consolation prize, the TA should be lower than it was.

When I test after a good rain, I like to let the pump run at least an hour and do a good brushing with the wall whale to be sure the water is well-mixed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Richard. I have the pump running now after adding the MA. I don't do a daily test of the other reading but as it has started to rain again here I'll run a complete test tomorrow and report back. My last complete test on 1/16/2012 was:

Ph 7.5
    FC 6.5
    TA 60
    CH 120
    CYA 30
    Bor 50
    Temp 54

10. Back To Top    #10

A hard rain always drives my PH up .2 or .3
    I always add some extra bleach if I have a chance if I know it's coming too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Testing after a storm

I had the same happen here. Bucketing down for days. The overflow couldn't even keep up in the end so water was pouring over the side. While it was raining I googled the pH of rain water to guess the effect on the pool when it eventually stopped. Average rainwater pH seems to be 5 to 5.6 so I thought in theory it should come down a little if anything. When it stopped raining and I did my test and the pH has gone up from 7.5 to 7.9.

When I thought it through I came to the exact same conclusion as Richard that the heavy rain had aerated the pool which caused the pH to rise. As Richard also suggested, my TA had gone down by about 20ppm. I assume that's just dilution. Shame because I just added calcium and cya the day before the rain started... I assume they will have been diluted down too.
    37000 litre, concrete, pebble, Viron P300 pump, Hurlcon VX7T SWCG, Viron CL-400 Cartridge filter, Solar heating, Pandora Smart Robotic cleaner