Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracks in Surcrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Katy, TX

Cracks in Surcrete

Our surcrete is barely a year old and has several cracks in it. Two of them run from the flagstone coping out to the yard. One even appears to go right through the coping. I am concerened that if it has this many cracks in one year, what will it look like in three? Anyone have any info. on this? I am wondering if this is typical of this type of decking? The PB is suppose to come out this week to take a look. I would appreciate any insight on this before I meet with PB. Thanks so much

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)
    Andrea, that's very typical, especially in our part of the country. As the ground below moves, the concrete shifts and causes the concrete to crack.

I have similar cracks around my pool as well. The only thing you can do is make sure you have enough expansion joints in your deck, but even then, you will still get some hairline cracks. If they really bother you, you could probably fill the cracks and re-paint those areas.

We'll probably have ours re-surfaced after a number of years, but otherwise, I'm not going to mess with it. It's just surface cracking and as long as the deck doesn't become uneven, I wouldn't worry.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.