Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two shock questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Two shock questions

I'm in the shock process due to recent downpours (with low FC in a SWG pool).

Q1 When you start the shock process should you add all the chlorine you can even if it doesn't get you to the shock level?
    i.e. if you need 6 gal but only have a couple of gallons available until the next day. Is any chlorine good to add or will it just be wasted until you can fully shock?

Q2 During shocking, is there a good reason to run a 2 speed pump on high, or is any circulation adequate?
    Is shocking a chemical process that just takes "X" amount of time or does circulation and filtration play a large part too?
    (in my case, 17,500 gal with 1 1/2 hp pump and sand filter).

Thanks, John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Two shock questions

Hi, John,

1. While it is not an ABSOLUTE requirement, it is much better to bring your FC up to the prescribed level all at once. If you don't have enough, save it until you have an adequate amount on hand......not only for the initial dose but your follow up doses as well.

2. Think of the FC as providing the "kill" and filtration and circulation to get rid of the "bodies". In that respect, there is some advantage to circ and filter as powerfully as possible to clear the water as quickly as you can. What's equally or perhaps more important is to keep your filter clean so it won't get jammed up with the "bodies"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave that is a great analogy.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, John,

1. While it is not an ABSOLUTE requirement, it is much better to bring your FC up to the prescribed level all at once. If you don't have enough, save it until you have an adequate amount on hand......not only for the initial dose but your follow up doses as well.

2. Think of the FC as providing the "kill" and filtration and circulation to get rid of the "bodies". In that respect, there is some advantage to circ and filter as powerfully as possible to clear the water as quickly as you can. What's equally or perhaps more important is to keep your filter clean so it won't get jammed up with the "bodies"
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wait until you have enough. What you add will just get used up and the algae will start reproducing again before the rest of the chlorine gets added. So the first dose was wasted.

Shocking means killing the algae faster than it can reproduce.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

That makes good sense.
    Thank you all for the replies.
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build