How deep should be an inground pool?

Most are 8' deep in the hopper give or take an inch. In my opinion the most usable design pool is a sport bottom pool. It's basically a rectangle with a hopper in the middle with a shallow on each end. They are commonly built with areas to stick the poles for a game net. So you can play volleyball etc.

How we setup ours. I would not be comfortable with less than 9' deep for kids diving.

depth.jpg

Reactions: Lanzz
Bumping this because we spent a ton of time trying to decide on the right depth of our pool and I'm sure others do to.
We finally went with a sports bottom with 3.5' on each end and 6' in the middle.
So far we are thrilled!

I built a play pool 16x36 with depth going from 3 1/2 at one end to 5 ft in the center and back down to 4 ft at the other end. If I had it to do again I would only change it to 4 ft each end 5 ft in the center. Unless you are diving (which is unsafe in almost any residential sized pool) I don't see any real need for deep water.

Our pool dig starts Wednesday. IG vinyl. We are doing 18 x 36. 3.5 on each end, 5.5 in the middle with a vollyball set-up built in. Our last pool, at last house was 20x40 with 10ft deep end and diving board. Had teenagers back then. Of course now we hear about all the dangerous things our son and his friends did back then. Like jumping off the roof into the pool. Thank the good Lord no one got hurt. Now we have grand kids, little ones. I don't think we will miss the deep end. This pool also will sit much further away from the house, so no jumping off the roof :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool goes from 3.5 ft to 6 ft yet still not deep enough for diving and I *miss* diving!
I wish we'd gone bigger, longer and deeper all around actually! But the pool size and shape we chose does fit the landscape perfectly so I shouldn't complain much. There is plenty of room to play and socialize.
I just feel a deeper deep end would be safer all around.

chiefwej said:
Unless you are diving (which is unsafe in almost any residential sized pool.

Why is that?

...and I'm on board with Skippy in regards to diving. To me, it's one of the luxuries of having an IG pool as opposed to an AG. Certainly everyone has their own needs and particular methods of using/enjoying their pool and for us, we like to be able to dive into the water. I did not install a diving board, but an 8ft deep-end was a must-have when I built my pool. The sole benefit of a true deepend is not just diving, either. Kids really enjoy swimming and playing underwater type games in the deepend that just wouln't be the same in shallower water. I believe the novelty of a sports pool would have faded quickly for my family...and we are heavily active in sports. It's just that I don't see the need to build a pool to accomodate the occasional volleyball game...but to each his own.

I whole heartedly agree about wanting a deep end for more then diving. Our 6' deep end is not for diving, but it makes all the difference in using our pool. Most of our kids friends have pools have a 4 foot depth...guess which pool they want to swim in?

I can't imagine spending the money on a igp, without doing a deep section...course up here in MN, many of us are swimming almost before we walk :) It is basic survival.

Diving on the other hand I love, but many igp I see have too small of a deep end for it to be done completly safely, though I haven't thought about what good minimum dimensions would be.

Most residential pools that have a deep area for diving have a fairly steep sloping wall coming up to the shallow part of the pool. Even though the water maybe deep enough for diving, a person (particularly a tall ,athletic one) can easily dive at an angle to strike that sloping wall. Unfortunately having spent my entire life in emergency services, I know this all too well. It is the reason many insurance companies require a diving board be removed from residential pools.

chiefwej said:
Most residential pools that have a deep area for diving have a fairly steep sloping wall coming up to the shallow part of the pool. Even though the water maybe deep enough for diving, a person (particularly a tall ,athletic one) can easily dive at an angle to strike that sloping wall. Unfortunately having spent my entire life in emergency services, I know this all too well. It is the reason many insurance companies require a diving board be removed from residential pools.

My insurance company (USAA) never even asked me if I had a diving board, if I recall? I actually need to call and ask them if my automatic cover offers me any discount?

I do trauma nursing and most of the broken necks I deal with have been young people (young men, teens to young 20s) diving into unknown waters with unknown depths. Sometimes alcohol or drugs has altered their common sense <sigh>.

I grew up around residential pools and everyone used to have diving boards. How we survived I dunno?? LOL. I sure do miss diving though :(

Great topic. We are in the process of having an IG pool installed. Didn't want a diving board due to safety reasons and heard feedback from people with deep ends about spending all of their time in the shallow half (really one third) of the pool. We mentioned this to our installer and he said something like "oh, we do sport pools all the time". Being new to this... "What's a sport pool?".

You guessed it. No deep end.

We ended up going with a 5' depth. Needed to slope up at one end to the stairs, but told our installer that we wanted as much of the pool to be 5' as possible. Looking good so far.
Doug

Go deep. An 8.5' ft deep end was on our "must have" list when we built the pool. We love it. The kids love it. It adds an whole 'nother level of fun to the pool. Standing around in chest deep water gets old. If I had to do it again, I'd do it exactly the same.

Code for our area is 7.5 feet if you have a diving board which we will have and the builder said they always go at least 8.5 feet as a safety margin. I would love like a 15 foot deep end to practice scuba. Not really practical on a 40' pool though unless you just have a sheer drop-off in the deep-end which isn't a bad idea (like a diving well).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.