Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valving off Heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

Valving off Heaters

Looking for some guidance on plumbing. Currently heat pump is plumbed with the connections for my gas heater valved and waiting. What I would like to do is be able to close off one or the other or both heaters. As learned on TFP, gas early and late season with heat pump mid (in Central PA). Is it worth not running salt water through the heater not in use or ? Just looking for best longevity for my heaters. If someone could provide the correct way to plumb these, I would appreciate it!

Thanks - Ted

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valving off Heaters

Interesting question. I'll be curious to read answers from the pros.

No doubt you'll lose some restriction by bypassing the heaters, which will increase flow. On the other hand, you'll have stagnant water sitting inside the heaters for months at a time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You could do as you say and then replace the drain on the heater with a ball valve so you could drain the heater whenever you bypassed it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone have pictures of heaters with valves installed in plumbing to isolate?

5. Back To Top    #5

I have both a gas heater and a heat pump. I did plumb the gas heater in series with the HP with one valve that I can bypass the ga heater. But honestly I never used it. I just run the water thru the entire circuit all the time (pump, filter, gas heater, heat pump, swcg, return to pool). When I use the gas heater, I just turn the HP off. Even if I didn't turn it off it wouldn't kick on since the water running thu it is warmer than the HP set temp anyway. When I use the heat pump, I turn the gas heater on standby.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Which is obviously functional bk, but doesn't that impact the life of the internals of the heaters? Copper, cupro nickel, Titanium.... those plus salt water and/or other chemicals flowing through them when not needed, vs valving off and draining when not in use for long term? Or is this not a big deal??

7. Back To Top    #7

It's really not anything I worry about. If you only had one heater would you put a bypass in? I suppose you could but I've never seen it done ( just because I've never seen it doesn't mean people don't do it). Besides, I'd rather have flow rather than have water just sitting in there. A heat exchanger is hard to drain really without blowing it out.
    I think the worry of corrosion from pool water is overblown. The thing is designed to heat pool water.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

We are a builder and bypass all heaters because when the heat exchangers leak you have to shut the system off while you are getting the parts. With byass you can maintain water quality because you can still run your pump
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

Meh, I suppose. How often is that likely to happen? I guess valves and pipe are cheap enough.
    The question was, however, do you need a bypass for a situation specifically for 2 heaters. I would say no. Just run them in series.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Also need to check heat pump owners manual for max flow. Pentair is 85 gpm(I think) on heat pump anything over that needs bypass for
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    Also need to check heat pump owners manual for max flow. Pentair is 85 gpm(I think) on heat pump anything over that needs bypass for
    You are supposed to install a pressure relief valve, and flow switch when you install a valve on the outlet side of any boiler.

Otherwise you could trap pressure in the system allowing the heater to fire, and boom goes the dynamite!
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool