Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool start up #'s

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool start up #'s

Pool is 23000 gallons I have the Wetedge Luna quartz plaster?

Ph 7.5 (I have to put a lot of acid to keep it there)
    Fc 2.5
    Ta 70/80
    Ch 300
    Cya 35 ish

I have done the entire start up my self. The pb has been helping some. I'm bringing my chlorine up slowly whith a floater using the 3" pucks from Leslie's. Is that a good idea or should I be using bleach? Also we did a slight shock on day 5 due to the water it looked very bad i used 2.5 pounds of shock diluted in a 5 gallon bucket??? Water looks great now. What do you pros think?
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool start up #'s

I would try to keep the FC clsoer to 4 maybe in order to keep things at bay a little better. You are prone to getting some sudden warm days down there and so a higher FC will benefit you.

You will have to use lots of acid to keep the pH in check until your plaster cures so that is normal.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

i used 2.5 pounds of shock
    bleach may be better if you need to shock in the future. You probably used Cal Hypo and your CH is high enough already.

Pucks are okay as long as you keep an eye on your CYA.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't hurt the plaster or anything else for that matter. I'm trying to get the FCC up to 4, it's coming up slowly. I'm using the TF-100 test kit. When I do the total chlorine test ( yellow) drops. Is that the same test for FC?
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Steve,

The "yellow drops" test is called an OTO test and is used for daily checks that sort of give you a rough idea of your Total Chlorine level. The really accurate test is called the FAS/DPD test and involves the use of the R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops. It will separately measure both your FC and CC which yields the Total Chlorine. I am puzzled by your report of 2.5FC (which would indicate you are using the FAS/DPD test) which is too accurate for the OTO test.

Regardless, keep your FC coming on up and your good to go.

I don't understand your comment on plaster. If it's in reference to using powdered chlorine to shock, don't worry about it. Most powdered chlorine is Cal Hypo which will add Calcium to your pool and you already have plenty.

Have you been reading up in Pool School?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reply.

I have been reading pool school. Maybe I should read it a little closer I will try to do fas/dpd test. I was doing the yellow drop test and calling it FC. My bad I'll get the real numbers and report. I also need to post some pics of the pool it's almost done just waiting on the fire features! Thanks for your patience. Steve

7. Back To Top    #7

The FC is actually 4.5 to 5.0 so should I take the floater out now?

Thanks steve

8. Back To Top    #8

If you CYA is 35 as you said, then you might go ahead and take the floater out and go with bleach until your water is warm enough for your SWCG to produce.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, I'm going to take it out. It is at 30 to 35 I checked it again. I'm switching to bleach for now on! Should I just keep checking the water then add bleach as needed or do you guys just add bleach by a certain amount every week. Thanks again steve

10. Back To Top    #10

In the winter, I usually only check chems once a week. After getting my numbers, I'll go to the Pool Calculator (link in my sig) and calculate how much I need to add to bring my levels back to target.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm on it thanks.