Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump humming; not turning

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump humming; not turning

Split from the pump-humming-not-turning topic. Bama

I am having the same problem, pump hums won't turn on. Questions: i have a northstar 2hp pump, how do I spin the impeller? Do I take the lid off of the basket area when the pump is on?

I cannot get the cover off of the motor to check the capacitor, how do I do this? I'm not sure how to get to the motor.

Thanks for any help.
    25,000 gallon saltwater pool with raised spa, Hayward de filter 6020, 2 hp pump, aqualogic PS-8 Controls - Dallas, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump humming; not turning

Do not take the lid off the basket when the pump is on.

If there's not a 'bump' on the side of the motor then the capacitor is under the back cover. If you're not confident in testing the motor yourself I highly suggest you take the pump out and take it to a pool or motor shop and have them check it for you. We don't want you getting hurt.

There are usually a few screws on the back cover that hold it on. Be sure the power is off before removing the cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There is not a bump on the side of the motor. IT looks like there is a 'cap' (for lack of a better description) that slides on the end of the motor, I'm assuming from pictures that under this is where the capacitor would be. I'm fairly handy, I know how to check the capacitor, I just can't figure out how to get the cover off; there are no screws, bolts or anything on the motor to remove the cover, does it slide off?
    25,000 gallon saltwater pool with raised spa, Hayward de filter 6020, 2 hp pump, aqualogic PS-8 Controls - Dallas, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

All I've ever seen either have screws in the side of the cover or use the motor through-bolts to hold them on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like an AO Smith, like the one on my late Superpump. I don't know that much about electric motors, so I will defer to Dave, but mine had a tight cap, on the end, held on by two (?) screws, that needed a few taps with the handle of the screwdriver to loosen up to get to the wiring.

Agarza, maybe you could locate a pic? If I recall correctly, (which might be doubtful), there are only a few motor manufacturers for a lot of pump makers.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

here we go, this is on one of my display cutaway super pumps

cap is on the left, held on by a metal bar clamp that's screwed down with a 1/4" nut/screw

side view

7. Back To Top    #7

If a picture is worth a thousand words. Here a video that is worth a few thousand words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEIv5ClLqXg
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Northstar motors are a little different design than most motors, including the one in that picture. The end cap is a plastic half circle and the 1/4" bolt is in the middle if I remember correctly. Take that off and the capacitor and shaft will be exposed.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source