Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick bonding question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick bonding question...

I understand bonding... I've read quite a bit about the differences in bonding and grounding... Even though the bonding wire gets tied into the grounding system anyway..... But my question is this... Do I still need to run a #8 solid copper around the perimeter if: a. I have metal walls and b. I will have rebar in the cement decking around the pool....
    ???

I plan on connecting all these together including the pool walls in at least 4 places....
    Running a #8 all the way around is seems overkill with the metal walls and rebar...
    Any info is appreciated...

I'm almost done with my pool!!!!!!!
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick bonding question...

Yes you do. And it needs to be connected to the metal walls and the rebar in 4 places around the pool. What that does is insure that if one of the connections fail, or gets damaged (i.e. dug up) you still have adequate bonding all around.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm almost done with my pool!!!!!!!
    The whole forum loves to look at pool build pics....got any?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok great!! Thank you!! And yes I have tons of pics.... I usually access this site from my phone though... So I don't think I can upload them from here... I'll have to save them to my computer and then load them....
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

5. Back To Top    #5

I second Bama as my bonding has been inspected and approved. You absolutely have to go all the way around and have a way to tie into the bonding grid you will have in your decking and tie into any thing metal ie ladder or diving board base. My inspector made me change out my Mechanical Connectors with crimp style ones. He said he wanted something "irreversible." I do not think this is necessary but as the sign in the regional building office says "arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig, you both get real dirty and the pig enjoys it."

I am waiting until march to finish my very similar build so I am very excited to see pics of yours. Make sure you post pics of your Easytouch install
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

6. Back To Top    #6

"arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig, you both get real dirty and the pig enjoys it."

Ain't THAT the truth sometimes!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/½ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub