Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool pump sound

1. Back To Top    #1

pool pump sound

My pump is getting louder and louder...is this a bearing that is going out that can be fixed or is my pump on its death bed? Pump is probably 11 years old or older.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57dHfiM6xp0
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool pump sound

Motor and seal set. No need to mess with the plumbing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

It is possible to replace just the bearings if you have the correct tools and skills. However, you can also bring the motor to a repair shop and they could that as well. But it could also be a good opportunity to replace a single speed motor with a two speed if you don't already have one.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Well i have a home warranty that covers my pool pumps..ideally I would get them to give me a new pump. Is this something that could warrant that or is this a standard repair that could do onsite?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

5. Back To Top    #5

also at the end of my video you can see where my pipe above ground ends with a cap on it...there is a spring and some sort of seal in there that keeps the water in my spa from dropping down. I replaced this a few years ago but can not remember the name of the parts....same thing seems to be happening again, anyone know what I am talking about?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tx
    Well i have a home warranty that covers my pool pumps..ideally I would get them to give me a new pump. Is this something that could warrant that or is this a standard repair that could do onsite?
    Usually if it is covered under your home warranty, the people that come out will make that decision to replace or repair. You can try to request a new one, but if the old one can be fixed for less than replacing, to my knowledge it will be repaired and not replaced with a new one.

I could be wrong so if anyone has experience with this let me know. Depending on how much your trade call fee is, you may want to see how much it is to fix yourself and could be less.

Just a few things to think about.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the reply...my fee is 60 bucks

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tx
    also at the end of my video you can see where my pipe above ground ends with a cap on it...there is a spring and some sort of seal in there that keeps the water in my spa from dropping down. I replaced this a few years ago but can not remember the name of the parts....same thing seems to be happening again, anyone know what I am talking about?
    It is called a check valve. If you need to replace it, I would recommend using a Jandy or Pentair check valve (flapper type with a window) as these have much less head loss than the kind you get at the hardware store. Plus they can be repaired without taking apart the plumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Is this worth spending 60 bucks on to have them repair and or replace? What kind of $$$ are the parts and time to repair on my own?

also found my old post about that check valve, the kind I have is called an ortega? is that the same type of valve ?

10. Back To Top    #10

The advantage of a repairable valve is that you don't have to cut into your plumbing to repair. But if the valve you have is this one: Ortega Check Valve
    This too is repairable so you might want to keep it.
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

thats exactly what i have, i did replace the seat and insides 2 years ago or so.....cant believe its going out again already

as for the pump, just talked with my home warranty company, they are telling me that as long as the pump is still pumping they dont cover anything...even though the thing is so loud...surely its just a matter of time before it goes out

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Maybe it will get hot enough and damage the housing so you can get a new pump.... They might be shooting themselves in the foot
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

13. Back To Top    #13

yeah, good idea, let it run loud til it seizes and possibly catches fire. pull the thing and have the front and rear bearings replaced and a new seal.

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks like I'm getting a new pump from the warranty co....still working on the heater