Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick plumbing question!

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick plumbing question!

Should all lines be the same size? I am doing 1.5 inch pipe.... My skimmer has 2 holes in the bottom of it.... One fits a 1.5 inch threaded pipe and the other fits something bigger... Should I run a bigger return pipe than the inlet pipes? Like 2 inches from the skimmer?
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Quick plumbing question!

All lines do not need be to the same although you will have higher energy efficiency (more flow rate) with larger lines. If you are going to use different size lines, then use the larger ones on the suction side because you always want to keep suction head much less than return head to avoid air leakage and cavitation problems. I would recommend 2" as a minimum and 2.5" if want the system to be a little more efficient (~4%). Use separate suction lines to the equipment pad from each main drain pair, if you have one, and from each skimmer, if you have more than one.

Also, the size of the skimmer ports is not really that important since you can always use an adapter to step up to a larger pipe size. They also make skimmers with larger ports if you haven't purchased them yet.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

South Central NJ

Re: Quick plumbing question!

I agree that bigger pipes are better but since it's there, using the 2" port if you up size the pipe is a sound practice.

In practice, bigger suction than return lines are encouraged. With suction, bigger pipes = slower moving water. This is especially important for submerged suction lines like drains but not as critical for surface suctions like skimmers.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.