Austin Texas Pool Build

Well they finished rebar (I think) today. They are moving pretty quick, it has only been a week so far and we were rained out for 2 days.

I wanted to include pictures of the rebar in case there were issues

Spa
DSC_0114.jpg

Closeup of the rebar
DSC_0113.jpg

View of a sewer line on the right corner. They will have to reroute the sewer line

DSC_0112.jpg

Overall view of the pool. You can see where they dug the deep portion too close to the spa/tanning ledge. this was the designers fault because his plan was not clear. They overdug so can fix it with gunite.
DSC_0111.jpg

skimmers are at opposite ends of the pool. This one is at the tanning ledge
DSC_0109.jpg

when we talk about pool depth are we talking water depth or pool wall height. We want 5 ft, but because they dug incorrectly the pool wall height will be 5ft and the water depth will prob be 4' 6" is this normal? Or when we say the pool depth is 5ft do we mean 5ft of water and a wall depth of 5' 6"?

Thats always a point of confusion. Hopefully they got it right? You have to be explicit, and even then they rarely get it right on the nose. an inch or two either way is ok in my book, but if they confused waterline depth with bond beam depth then they failed to educate you and communicate to you properly. It would be a big deal right now to fix, but now is the time to do it if it means that much to you, once the concrete goes in, well its just done. They will never eat what it costs to fix it then.

Lershac said:
Thats always a point of confusion. Hopefully they got it right? You have to be explicit, and even then they rarely get it right on the nose. an inch or two either way is ok in my book, but if they confused waterline depth with bond beam depth then they failed to educate you and communicate to you properly. It would be a big deal right now to fix, but now is the time to do it if it means that much to you, once the concrete goes in, well its just done. They will never eat what it costs to fix it then.

I guess what Im asking is when everyone here posts that they have an 8' deep pool what is the most common meaning in the industry? Bond beam or waterline depth?

I was thinking waterline.

I asked for 8' deep and the water measured in the deep end is 7' 11" when I lay on the board and put a tape to the bottom measured to the waterline. I would ask for 9' if I had things to do over, not a big difference but I like deeper.

they are recommending to leave the sewer line in and build the pool over it. We are ok as it will act like a step in conjunction with a bench that was going to be in that corner. Is it ok to run a sewer line through like that?

We get 6 jets for the spa (7x7). Ive never had a spa but the PB is recommending 3 jets on the non negative edge sides of the spa (outside two walls of the spa). He said there are some issues with the venturis if we put them on the negative edge (pool facing walls of the spa).

Finally they want to reduce the thickness of the floor to 6" to get the full 5' of water. The amount at 5' is small maybe 2 feet by 17 (width of the pool). Would we be better to just accept a water depth of 4' 10" with 8" of gunite or is 6" ok to get us a 5' of water depth.

Man, not sure about that sewage line. I would call a plumber for a second opinion.

As to the jets, figure out where you are going to sit, and make sure the jets are located where they will be of use.
I kind of wish we added more and put a layer at the feet level. So maybe 2 on each wall like you said, and one in the middle at the level below the bench on the opposite walls.

1) is a 6" thickness in the gunite for about 2' X 17 ft going to be ok? They didnt dig the deep middle of the pool enough, just off by a few inches but we want 5 ft of water. Is 4' 10" water plus 8 inches of gunite better than 6" gunite 5' water?

2) they arent going to pressurize the plumbing before gunite, they just stubbed it out. They said they will pressurize at a later stage. They said pressurizing early often results in damage to the plumbing so they do it this way even though it causes the plumbers to have to come back multiple times. Is this reasonable?

march2012 said:
1) is a 6" thickness in the gunite for about 2' X 17 ft going to be ok? They didnt dig the deep middle of the pool enough, just off by a few inches but we want 5 ft of water. Is 4' 10" water plus 8 inches of gunite better than 6" gunite 5' water?

2) they arent going to pressurize the plumbing before gunite, they just stubbed it out. They said they will pressurize at a later stage. They said pressurizing early often results in damage to the plumbing so they do it this way even though it causes the plumbers to have to come back multiple times. Is this reasonable?

I'm no expert (in the middle of the building process for the first time), but gunite is the structure and foundation. I wouldn't compromise the thickness of the gunite at all. It's like having a thinner section in your home's foundation - what kind of problems does this create?

How do they know if the plumbing is damaged if it's not pressurized? How much later are they going to wait? The more that gets done before finding a cracked pipe, the more that has to be torn out and the longer the delay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
notenuftoys said:
march2012 said:

I'm no expert (in the middle of the building process for the first time), but gunite is the structure and foundation. I wouldn't compromise the thickness of the gunite at all. It's like having a thinner section in your home's foundation - what kind of problems does this create?

How do they know if the plumbing is damaged if it's not pressurized? How much later are they going to wait? The more that gets done before finding a cracked pipe, the more that has to be torn out and the longer the delay.

In our contract it says gunite 6" to 9". In most places it will be 12 inches except right in the center at the deepest point. 6" is well within the safe range according to them, just wanted to get some thoughts around that. We are also embedded in solid limestone so there will pretty much be zero shifting of the soil

They are going to pressurize after gunite is shot (the stage after gunite is pool equipment so they will plumb and pressurize then).

Gunite is done
2012-02-03144242.jpg

The corner of the spa is not a sharp edge it is missing about 3 inches in the middle. They said it was fine to fix that with plaster. Overall the gunite job looks good. It is supposed to rain for the next 2 days so that should be even better.

Just an update, we are going with chocolate lueders (a type of semi local limestone). Unfortunately the stone yard ran out so it is going to be another week. On the plus side it has been raining pretty often so the pool has mostly been wet for the two weeks since gunite. The PB is going to put tile in early next week, then coping as soon as they can get the lueders in.

shakenbake said:
geeze...what's happening?
the stone we want was backordered by a month so we are just waiting for it to come in :) apparently someone bought it all so they are having to quarry more. it should be another few days and they will do the coping and tile next week.

march2012 said:
shakenbake said:
geeze...what's happening?
the stone we want was backordered by a month so we are just waiting for it to come in :) apparently someone bought it all so they are having to quarry more. it should be another few days and they will do the coping and tile next week.

Just to give an update, we lost about 3 weeks due to the stone being out of stock. The stone came in and the installed tile and coping pretty quickly (maybe one day). then they prepped to pour the concrete for the deck. Unfortunately march ended up almost having record setting rains

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/rai ... 89655.html

We had to postpone concrete twice so lost another two weeks. Plus now all the local subs are booked up so we are waiting.. and waiting.

There are only about 4-5 actual days of work. It is warming up so now we are missing days of swimming.

Here is the work left to be done, in order.

1) patio cover (1/2 day)
2) planters (1/2 day)
3) plumbing (1/2 day)
4) base for pavers, pavers, rocks (1/2 day)
5) equipment 1/2 day
6) diamondbrite 1 day(?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.