Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low salt light on IC60

1. Back To Top    #1

Low salt light on IC60

I have an IC60 that was new last May. Worked great all season, but now it is reading that salt levels are 1900, tested with Taylor test kit shows salt levels @ 3200ppm. My water temp is 62deg F. Could this be causing the incorrect reading ? I inspected the cell and there is no signs of scaling on the blades. Is there a way to calibrate the salt readings? I have an easytouch 8.

I had tried a process on a previous post here but it does not work on mine I guess because it is a newer model. I know I can call Pentair and go thru that whole process but was hoping there was something I could do myself to recalibrate it. Thanks for any help.
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low salt light on IC60

There's nothing wrong with it. The water's too cold. The sensor is temp dependent. Once the water goes into the 60's, it reads low. In the winter, your better off chlorinating with bleach.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Everything that I read on Pentair's site said unit should work to 52 degrees.

I suggest running your spa and bring up the water temp and see if the unit works then. If not, you have a problem with the unit and I would have Pentair take care of it while it is still under warranty.

Like bk406 suggested, use bleach in the meantime if you can't get it to work.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ping
    Everything that I read on Pentair's site said unit should work to 52 degrees.

It might say that, and it will make chlorine at 52 degrees, but you would have to double the salt to make the unit think there is 2500 ppm salt at that temp. That needs to be changed in the manual. There's nothing wrong with your IC-60 except cold water.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I ran the heater on the spa, brought the temp up to 80 deg, turned the cell off then back on. It now reads 3900ppm salt and is working correctly. Even now that is back on the pool at 64 deg it is still working.
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tcm
    Even now that is back on the pool at 64 deg it is still working.
    It will work until the cell measures the water conductivity again, then it will read low. Until the water gets to about 70 degrees and stays there, it wont work with any consistancy because the salt reading wont be right. (It actually measures conductivity of the water, not salt. And that measurement is temperature dependent).

7. Back To Top    #7

My CompuPool knows the water temp. Does it compensate for the temp difference?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!