Weird winter in Houston. Opinions wanted about water

htownjeeper

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Nassau Bay, TX
We're looking at at least a week of mid/high 70's and lows in mid 50's. I would have to think that this would be good for algae to start popping it's head back up and I'm not really worried about that as I've maintained all chemical levels for perfect water all "winter".

How high do you think the water temperature would raise (I have a lot of sun in the daytime) after a week in the 70's? I am dying to get back in that pool!

Any other things you pros can suggest I might look out for if we are indeed on the back end of winter here in htown? I just moved in back in July, so I've never experienced starting my pool back up. But, I guess I never shut it down huh?

I don't know where your pool is, but mine's sitting at 55 degrees. It is 77 outside, and I'm headed out to add muriatic acid to my pool in shorts and flip-flops! :D

Just keep your FC in the proper range and don't worry about it. You won't use hardly any chlorine at this time of year, but it still needs to be checked. I only check mine weekly when it's this cold. But, like you said, don't close your pool, just keep it open.

I live SW of Houston in Richmond. My pool is about 10K gallons and today the water is 70 and the air temp is 79. It isn't only the day temperature that will determine the water temperature, but it will also be how cool it gets at night and how windy. On average my pool is about 10 degrees cooler than the average high. I also doubt we are anywhere near done with winter, and we still can get a hard freeze. Hopefully not, but last year it really didn't get cold until the first two weeks of February. I really would like for my palm trees to go through a winter without a hard freeze. I really believe I will loose them this year if it freezes like it did last year.

RobbieH said:
Just keep your FC in line. Surprised yours has come up so fast. Are you going to be cold tomorrow then warm again on Sunday like we are here in Dallas?
No, not cold tomorrow. Last weekend I was in flip flops and having margaritas by the pool. It's not cold here in the least. We had a 36 hour "cold" front a couple of days ago, but was very brief.

Like I said, ALL chemicals/numbers are in line including FC's/CC's. The only number that is bad about my pool is the temp number :-D

Flippy said:
I also doubt we are anywhere near done with winter, and we still can get a hard freeze. Hopefully not, but last year it really didn't get cold until the first two weeks of February. I really would like for my palm trees to go through a winter without a hard freeze. I really believe I will loose them this year if it freezes like it did last year.
I hope you're wrong, I'm ready to start swimming again. It's cruel to make me look at that sparkly pool every weekend and I can't get in it! I agree about the palms. I'm losing bark like crazy and they look pretty bad. We get a lot of wind in Clear Lake so maybe that's why my pool is cooler than yours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now you know dang well we don't get any "real" winter down here till February! Even that is looking kind of doubtful this year. Just hope this isn't a re-introduction of the summer we had last year.

woodyp said:
Now you know dang well we don't get any "real" winter down here till February! Even that is looking kind of doubtful this year. Just hope this isn't a re-introduction of the summer we had last year.
Feb is on average 3.8 degrees warmer than January. Which is why I'm wondering about this whole thing. But yeah, we usually get one good final blast of cold in Feb. I personally hope it doesn't happen.

BTW, based on your handle, I'm guessing you are an offroader. I have a 1997 Wrangler with a stock I6 engine. Everything else is from somewhere else. D60's front and rear (35 spline), Atlas TCase, 42" Iroks, 5.13 gears, Detroits, blah blah blah... Just ordered a pair of new Corbeau seats, hoping to start on the new cage in the next week or two.

Water temp will depend on how deep the pool is and the amount of sunlight. I am spoiled and don't like to swim until the water is well above 80 degrees and so I don't get in until May.

The deep end is cooler, the shallow is warmer. I try to affect the pool temp by running the waterfall on hot days to try to pick up some BTU's but that waterfall draws off the deep end and I am not really certain if it makes it any more swim-able overall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.