Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weird winter in Houston. Opinions wanted about water

1. Back To Top    #1

Weird winter in Houston. Opinions wanted about water

We're looking at at least a week of mid/high 70's and lows in mid 50's. I would have to think that this would be good for algae to start popping it's head back up and I'm not really worried about that as I've maintained all chemical levels for perfect water all "winter".

How high do you think the water temperature would raise (I have a lot of sun in the daytime) after a week in the 70's? I am dying to get back in that pool!

Any other things you pros can suggest I might look out for if we are indeed on the back end of winter here in htown? I just moved in back in July, so I've never experienced starting my pool back up. But, I guess I never shut it down huh?
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weird winter in Houston. Opinions wanted about water

I don't know where your pool is, but mine's sitting at 55 degrees. It is 77 outside, and I'm headed out to add muriatic acid to my pool in shorts and flip-flops!

Just keep your FC in the proper range and don't worry about it. You won't use hardly any chlorine at this time of year, but it still needs to be checked. I only check mine weekly when it's this cold. But, like you said, don't close your pool, just keep it open.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was 55 around New Year's. But in the last week I've crept up over 60 and yesterday was 63 when I got home at 6pm. I'm assuming that it will go up even more over this next 7 day period...just not sure how much.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just keep your FC in line. Surprised yours has come up so fast. Are you going to be cold tomorrow then warm again on Sunday like we are here in Dallas?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I live SW of Houston in Richmond. My pool is about 10K gallons and today the water is 70 and the air temp is 79. It isn't only the day temperature that will determine the water temperature, but it will also be how cool it gets at night and how windy. On average my pool is about 10 degrees cooler than the average high. I also doubt we are anywhere near done with winter, and we still can get a hard freeze. Hopefully not, but last year it really didn't get cold until the first two weeks of February. I really would like for my palm trees to go through a winter without a hard freeze. I really believe I will loose them this year if it freezes like it did last year.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Just keep your FC in line. Surprised yours has come up so fast. Are you going to be cold tomorrow then warm again on Sunday like we are here in Dallas?
    No, not cold tomorrow. Last weekend I was in flip flops and having margaritas by the pool. It's not cold here in the least. We had a 36 hour "cold" front a couple of days ago, but was very brief.

Like I said, ALL chemicals/numbers are in line including FC's/CC's. The only number that is bad about my pool is the temp number

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy
    I also doubt we are anywhere near done with winter, and we still can get a hard freeze. Hopefully not, but last year it really didn't get cold until the first two weeks of February. I really would like for my palm trees to go through a winter without a hard freeze. I really believe I will loose them this year if it freezes like it did last year.
    I hope you're wrong, I'm ready to start swimming again. It's cruel to make me look at that sparkly pool every weekend and I can't get in it! I agree about the palms. I'm losing bark like crazy and they look pretty bad. We get a lot of wind in Clear Lake so maybe that's why my pool is cooler than yours.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like you are good!

Just finished my pool additions, and now I have a sweat kicking!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like a good time for a January swim!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Not in 55 degree water!!! It hurts just sticking my arm in the skimmer!

11. Back To Top    #11

LOL. It only hurts for a minute, but it really depends on the temp.
    http://www.shipwrite.bc.ca/Chilling_truth.htm
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Now you know dang well we don't get any "real" winter down here till February! Even that is looking kind of doubtful this year. Just hope this isn't a re-introduction of the summer we had last year.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Sounds like a good time for a January swim!
    Water temp was 66F Saturday night. Yep, me and my 14 yr old did a few cannonballs. That will certainly wake you up!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Now you know dang well we don't get any "real" winter down here till February! Even that is looking kind of doubtful this year. Just hope this isn't a re-introduction of the summer we had last year.
    Feb is on average 3.8 degrees warmer than January. Which is why I'm wondering about this whole thing. But yeah, we usually get one good final blast of cold in Feb. I personally hope it doesn't happen.

15. Back To Top    #15

BTW, based on your handle, I'm guessing you are an offroader. I have a 1997 Wrangler with a stock I6 engine. Everything else is from somewhere else. D60's front and rear (35 spline), Atlas TCase, 42" Iroks, 5.13 gears, Detroits, blah blah blah... Just ordered a pair of new Corbeau seats, hoping to start on the new cage in the next week or two.

16. Back To Top    #16

Very nice Robbie, yours is built-up a lot more than mine. I still use mine as a daily driver sometimes as well. So mine is "kind of" built, but not a trailer queen just yet.

17. Back To Top    #17

Water temp will depend on how deep the pool is and the amount of sunlight. I am spoiled and don't like to swim until the water is well above 80 degrees and so I don't get in until May.

The deep end is cooler, the shallow is warmer. I try to affect the pool temp by running the waterfall on hot days to try to pick up some BTU's but that waterfall draws off the deep end and I am not really certain if it makes it any more swim-able overall.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.