Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused over proper levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused over proper levels

With every booklet or program I read or use they all have different levels for the chemicals you test for. IE CH, CYA. What are the levels y'all would recommend for a HT? I'm confused.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused over proper levels

Hello,
    Welcome to the forums. Check out pool school.
    pool-school/
    Specifically:
    pool-school/recommended_levels

There's alot of great info in pool school. It's a great place to start.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I hadn't seen that.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, check out the pool calculator.

http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Also, check out the pool calculator.

http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/
    Yep, I've checked out pool calc. It has different values also.

No mention of Borate levels besides 50. So I assume thats the target.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you decide to do borates (they are OPTIONAL), then 40-50 is your target. Read about borates in pool school before you go down that path though.

For Pool Calc, select the TroubleFreePool targets.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    If you decide to do borates (they are OPTIONAL), then 40-50 is your target. Read about borates in pool school before you go down that path though.

For Pool Calc, select the TroubleFreePool targets.
    Thanks, I assumed "troublefreepool" meant "pool" and not HotTub.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are we talking hot tub? That wasn't mentioned here, and there's a separate section for hot tubs.

I'll tell you how much I know about spas, my house had one (a NICE one!) when we moved in, and I immediately gave it away to one of my friends.

To be clear, if this is a pool, you have a selection at the bottom of the pool calculator, it says "Suggested Goal Levels" in the yellow box. This is where you select TroubleFreePool.com"

EDIT: I just noticed you said "HT". I completely overlooked this. I suggest asking this in the Spas and Hot Tubs section, or moving this thread there.

Moved! MITS
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by knutohotub
    Thanks, I assumed "troublefreepool" meant "pool" and not HotTub.
    The pool calculator has an option for hot tubs. Choose "Traditional Spa".

"Use suggested goal levels from: Traditional Spa"

10. Back To Top    #10

The calculator is the greatest application developed. Ever since I joined (3 years ago) and began using this tool, I have basically had a trouble free hot tub with uncanny predictability during on-going/regular maintenance of the chemicals.
    Barry
    Sundance Hot Tub 365 gal, acrylic
    (2) 2.5 hp pumps
    ozonator
    Northwest Ohio resident

11. Back To Top    #11

From the Pool School "Further Reading" section, read either Using Chlorine in a Spa or Using Bromine in a Spa depending on which system you plan to use. Chlorine works best for people who use the spa regularly, every day or two, since adding chlorine after a soak is not a big deal. If you use the spa less frequently, then chlorine can be more work since you need to add chlorine at least 2-3 times a week. Infrequent spa use with an ozonator is particularly bad with chlorine because ozone reacts with chlorine so you end up needing to use more and add it even more frequently. With bromine, you can use bromine tabs in a floating feeder to keep a background sanitizer level in between soaks and an ozonator will make more bromine from a bromide bank you initially create.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the reply's and guidance. I've been using the chlorine/diclor method with very good results. Once the spa is dialed in from a fresh fill it's nothing more than 4oz of bleach per night (480 gal HT), and we soak just about every night. I'll only test PH and FC once a week and run a full test maybe once a month. (K2006 test kit)

13. Back To Top    #13

I should note that the link to using chlorine in a spa refers to having an 80 ppm TA level, but usually that is too high and a lower TA level is better for greater pH stability, especially when there is more aeration. A TA of 50 ppm along with using 50 ppm Borates would be a better recommendation (and we should really change that post).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    I should note that the link to using chlorine in a spa refers to having an 80 ppm TA level, but usually that is too high and a lower TA level is better for greater pH stability, especially when there is more aeration. A TA of 50 ppm along with using 50 ppm Borates would be a better recommendation (and we should really change that post).
    Thanks, I made the adjustments in Pool Calc and Simple pool apps.