Acid start up with quartz aggregate ??

magar

Jan 19, 2012
Hy I am a new member and I am about to start my pool. It is a small 5900 gallons quartz aggregate finish. I am thinking to make an acid start up but I have some concerns and questions:
What is the percent of the muriatic acid to use in the 3.5 gallons per 10000 gallon, 15.7% or 31.45%?? (2 gallons in mine)
What is the target ph in an acid wash?? (pool calculator reduces ph a lot if adding 256 onz(2 gallons) of 31.45% acid)
Can an acid wash deteriorate the quartz finish??
Can it have a negative effect on lights, stairs or other accessories??
Do you recommend a traditional start up instead??
Thank you very much I will appreciate if I have some help I am starting my pool saturday....

Is this a new finish on the pool? If so follow the builder's instructions for start up to protect the warranty. If it is an established pool does it have scale build up? An acid wash will shorten the life of the pool's finish, so I would avoid it unless absolutely needed. Is there a problem with the pool that has you considering an acid wash?

Hy, thanks alot for your fast reply. The builder left the start up to me. He doesn´t give written warranties with special instructions. He only decides when its ready to be filled and start up with any pool procedure I choose. I chose the acid start up because it seems more practical and avoids to much testing and brushing at the firsts days (The place where the pool is I only travel there on weekends), also it seems to polish the quartz.
Yes, this is a new finish and today will be ready .....
I am concern on how much the water ph can go down with this start up and if maybe can I only put one gallon of muriatic acid (%%??) for 24 hours (only to accelerate abit the curing) and then start with a traditional start up.

Yes, zea3 is right, and for what it's worth, I also advised against an acid start-up. It will certainly etched the cement and make it more porous as seen with magnification. As time passes (months), I believe it will show more effects. An acid start-up takes the pH to below 5.0.
Although I always promote the Bicarb start-up, the Traditional start-up would be the next best approach, and would not violate any warranty. Brushing and an auto pool cleaner will polish the quartz finish and has a much better result over time.

I really appreciate all your help and time. I guess i´ll have to make some time to make a good start-up, forget about acid and make some research about bicarb start-ups too.....If I need any help as I start the process I will be in contact....Thz!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.