High Cal and Tablet Use

Jan 19, 2012
Im brand new to pool care- literally got my CPO this week. (Im a golf course superintendent and just acquired the pool management). I was also in a meeting where I was informed they are trying to convert from liquid Chlorine to "Tablets". I asked which tablets?...crickets....

Then I pointed out that we have incredibly high calcium from our well water used to fill the pool (and I'm not paying for water). They want "tablets" for ease of handling (not that they handle the liquid anyway). In my CPO class, I was informed my options for tablets are Tri-Chlor, Di-Chlor or Cal Hypo. Tri- and Di- contain cyanuric acid, so you wouldn't use them all season long, thus Cal hypo tablets. Wouldn't the high cal water and cal based chlorine create more problems?

Help. Thx.

Richard gave you the short answer and it's correct. Depending on where you're located and what the local rules are, trichlor and dichlor may not even be options. Some localities don't allow CYA in public pools and some only allow a low concentration. You need to know the local rules in order to make a decision. If the decision is made to use cal-hypo then you'll most likely be forced to drain water a few times a year to keep the calcium manageable. I would personally push for staying with the liquid or switching to a swcg. You should also read the article about what you're not taught in CPO school, if you haven't already.

I would advise against tablets. Using tablets as a long-term primary chlorine source is rarely a good idea. Who is advising the switch to tablets and are they qualified to make a good decision? I also recommend that you make an effort to maintain the liquid chlorine system and not switch over to tablets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.