Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Cal and Tablet Use

1. Back To Top    #1

High Cal and Tablet Use

Im brand new to pool care- literally got my CPO this week. (Im a golf course superintendent and just acquired the pool management). I was also in a meeting where I was informed they are trying to convert from liquid Chlorine to "Tablets". I asked which tablets?...crickets....

Then I pointed out that we have incredibly high calcium from our well water used to fill the pool (and I'm not paying for water). They want "tablets" for ease of handling (not that they handle the liquid anyway). In my CPO class, I was informed my options for tablets are Tri-Chlor, Di-Chlor or Cal Hypo. Tri- and Di- contain cyanuric acid, so you wouldn't use them all season long, thus Cal hypo tablets. Wouldn't the high cal water and cal based chlorine create more problems?

Help. Thx.
    163,000 IG 1992 fiberglass overtop 1962 gunnite, 1987 Swimquip Hi-Rate HRP-30 sand filters, 7.5 Hp 3p Marlow Pump; 4,500 IG fiberglass overtop 1962 gunnite, 2008 Hayward sand filter; Liquid Chlorine via Blue-White & Rola-Chem's, High Calcium well water, Located in W. Maryland.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Cal and Tablet Use

Yes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard gave you the short answer and it's correct. Depending on where you're located and what the local rules are, trichlor and dichlor may not even be options. Some localities don't allow CYA in public pools and some only allow a low concentration. You need to know the local rules in order to make a decision. If the decision is made to use cal-hypo then you'll most likely be forced to drain water a few times a year to keep the calcium manageable. I would personally push for staying with the liquid or switching to a swcg. You should also read the article about what you're not taught in CPO school, if you haven't already.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would advise against tablets. Using tablets as a long-term primary chlorine source is rarely a good idea. Who is advising the switch to tablets and are they qualified to make a good decision? I also recommend that you make an effort to maintain the liquid chlorine system and not switch over to tablets.

5. Back To Top    #5

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for you help and thanks again for pointing out the info on "what's not taught in CPO class".
    163,000 IG 1992 fiberglass overtop 1962 gunnite, 1987 Swimquip Hi-Rate HRP-30 sand filters, 7.5 Hp 3p Marlow Pump; 4,500 IG fiberglass overtop 1962 gunnite, 2008 Hayward sand filter; Liquid Chlorine via Blue-White & Rola-Chem's, High Calcium well water, Located in W. Maryland.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Sounds like they want to use tablets in terms of ease of use? If so I think your only other option besides staying with liquid is SWG
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp