Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating Pool - Quickest Way?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heating Pool - Quickest Way?

My pool is currently 65 degrees (I live in Florida), and I want to get the temperature up to the 80s as quickly as possible. Currently, 75% of the water flow to my pool goes through my spa and spills over into my pool. Does anybody know if it would heat significantly faster if I turned off the flow through the spa & spillway? In other words, would it be more efficient to heat the pool by directing all water from the heater directly to the pool (excluding the spa from the circuit)?

Any other tips on the most efficient settings to heat the pool?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heating Pool - Quickest Way?

Anywhere you can reduce heat loss especially with evaporation will help so using a solar cover would probably help the most. Excluding the spa will reduce the amount of water needed to be heated plus it will reduce some of the evaporation but I wouldn't expect it to help all that much. The cover will help the most. BTW, what are you using to heat the pool?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - I have a Heat Pump for heating right now, so it will be taking two or three days. In fact, it takes about 4.5 hours to heat my spa from 64 to 104. Does that sound right for heating a spa with a heat pump? If not, what would you expect?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mjkat
    In fact, it takes about 4.5 hours to heat my spa from 64 to 104. Does that sound right for heating a spa with a heat pump? If not, what would you expect?
    Sounds about right. How many gallons is your spa and how many BTU is your heat pump rated for?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

118k BTUs
    I don't recall how many gallons the spa is, but it is a 7' round spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, shutting off the spa will help some. There's no point heating water then mixing cold air into it. I notice a big difference in how long it takes to heat my spa if I just cap the air intake. And the agitation increases evaporation, which also wastes expensive heat.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mjkat
    Thanks - I have a Heat Pump for heating right now, so it will be taking two or three days. In fact, it takes about 4.5 hours to heat my spa from 64 to 104. Does that sound right for heating a spa with a heat pump? If not, what would you expect?
    Took me about the same time last week to heat the spa from 68 - 104. I kidded with my pool guy that to heat the pool would take until April. Since I had some time and as my wife said, "some extra money", I turned the spa off and the pool water was 68 and I turned the HP on for the pool. I ran it 2.5 hours and it never moved above 68. At that time it was 71 outside. The next time the pool is heated, it will be started by the sun in the sky, then I can help it with the HP.
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

8. Back To Top    #8

[center:lwhj42hm]

[/center:lwhj42hm]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!