Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: frozen reagents

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

frozen reagents

I accidentally allowed some reagent bottles to partially freeze. Among those frozen are a nearly empty bottle of R-0004-E which I won't cry over, half a bottle of R-0871-E, 3L of R-0013(G), and possibly a couple of R-0009-C's (didn't actually check them). Nothing froze completely, and they are being thawed slowly at a cool room temperature (still have an iceberg in them after a full day).

Are they still any good after being partially frozen?
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: frozen reagents

you probably should toss them, but I find that sunlight exposure kills reagents more so than temp. You could always compare your results with another test kit (maybe a neighbor or a pool store?)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

These are refill bottles for my nine test kits around town. I guess I can find clean empty bottles and test them...good idea.
    Will report!
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

Please do!!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Any liquid that has frozen
    A liquid reagent may still be effective after freezing. Allow it to thaw at room temperature. If the bottle cracks, if you see a crusty buildup around the dropper tip, or if there are floating particles that do not dissolve when the bottle is shaken, replace the reagent.
    http://taylortechnologies.com/product_f ... fe_web.pdf

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=2