Heat Pump

Mar 15, 2011
I didn't see a topic or an area to discuss Heat Pumps, how well they work, if they work, how much they cost to run. I have a propane heater right now that costs way too much to use and am looking for an alternative,

Thanks for any info.

20,000 gallon Marquisite, inground, with spa and size 60 DE Filter in Florida

Where in Fla are you?
How warm do you keep your pool/spa?
How often do you heat the pool/spa?

It makes a big difference in how well they work depending on where you are in Fla. For the most part, they work pretty well in Fla depending on how warm you want to keep your pool.

Use the search function, it's way up in the upper right, next to your logout.

You'll get pages and pages and pages of hits. Happy reading. You might want to try using some modifiers to narrow the search. Something like "heat pump" cost Pump is too common a word here...

In that part of Fla a heat pump will work pretty well but wanting to keep the pool at 80º march thru December is gonna cost a lot, no matter which heat source you choose, except for solar. If I were you, I'd look into solar and a HP. That would give you the most heat in the most efficient manner.

The most effective way to use a heat pump is to maintain temperatures everyday. It is too slow to spot heat a pool because of the lower BTUs vs a gas heater. If you're looking to maintain heat, you shouldn't worry about having to increase 30 degrees.
The best thing you can do is to use a solar blanket to prevent excessive heat loss overnight.
Aquacal.com has a pool heating audit program that allows you to determine which system will work with your operating parameters and desired temperature. It will also calculate a cost comparison of gas heater vs heat pumps (if you know the cost for gas and electricity).

bk406 said:
dssxxxx said:
Pool last Friday was 68 degrees. HP turned on and 4 hours later 103. Dec. 15th pool 72.....1 hour 102 degrees.

How big is your pool? Even with a 150,000 BTU heat pump, a 10,000 gallon pool will take ~15 hours to increase the water temp 30 degrees.

I believe he's talking about the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
racket said:
bk406 said:
dssxxxx said:
Pool last Friday was 68 degrees. HP turned on and 4 hours later 103. Dec. 15th pool 72.....1 hour 102 degrees.

How big is your pool? Even with a 150,000 BTU heat pump, a 10,000 gallon pool will take ~15 hours to increase the water temp 30 degrees.

I believe he's talking about the spa.

Sorry.....the spa.

Put the heater on for the pool to see if it would move.....Jan.... 1 or 2 hours...did not increase 1 degree.....:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.