Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump

Heat Pump

I didn't see a topic or an area to discuss Heat Pumps, how well they work, if they work, how much they cost to run. I have a propane heater right now that costs way too much to use and am looking for an alternative,

Thanks for any info.

20,000 gallon Marquisite, inground, with spa and size 60 DE Filter in Florida
    Howell, NJ
    24'x52" Round AGP, j-hook liner, resin frame, 1 hp pump, sand filter, new fill well water (6/7/2011).
    14,600 gallons

Re: Heat Pump

Where in Fla are you?
    How warm do you keep your pool/spa?
    How often do you heat the pool/spa?

It makes a big difference in how well they work depending on where you are in Fla. For the most part, they work pretty well in Fla depending on how warm you want to keep your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Orlando in Central Florida. We like to keep it pretty warm, around 80. We would like to extend the season in the Spring and Fall, roughly march through November or December.
    Howell, NJ
    24'x52" Round AGP, j-hook liner, resin frame, 1 hp pump, sand filter, new fill well water (6/7/2011).
    14,600 gallons

Use the search function, it's way up in the upper right, next to your logout.

You'll get pages and pages and pages of hits. Happy reading. You might want to try using some modifiers to narrow the search. Something like "heat pump" cost Pump is too common a word here...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

In that part of Fla a heat pump will work pretty well but wanting to keep the pool at 80ยบ march thru December is gonna cost a lot, no matter which heat source you choose, except for solar. If I were you, I'd look into solar and a HP. That would give you the most heat in the most efficient manner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Pool last Friday was 68 degrees. HP turned on and 4 hours later 103. Dec. 15th pool 72.....1 hour 102 degrees.

Outside temps: Jan. 70 Dec. 76
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

Quote Originally Posted by dssxxxx

Pool last Friday was 68 degrees. HP turned on and 4 hours later 103. Dec. 15th pool 72.....1 hour 102 degrees.
    How big is your pool? Even with a 150,000 BTU heat pump, a 10,000 gallon pool will take ~15 hours to increase the water temp 30 degrees.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

The most effective way to use a heat pump is to maintain temperatures everyday. It is too slow to spot heat a pool because of the lower BTUs vs a gas heater. If you're looking to maintain heat, you shouldn't worry about having to increase 30 degrees.
    The best thing you can do is to use a solar blanket to prevent excessive heat loss overnight.
    Aquacal.com has a pool heating audit program that allows you to determine which system will work with your operating parameters and desired temperature. It will also calculate a cost comparison of gas heater vs heat pumps (if you know the cost for gas and electricity).
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    Commercial Products Sales Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bk406

How big is your pool? Even with a 150,000 BTU heat pump, a 10,000 gallon pool will take ~15 hours to increase the water temp 30 degrees.

I believe he's talking about the spa.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

Your probably right. I assumed "pool" meant a larger body of water
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

Quote Originally Posted by racket
    Quote Originally Posted by bk406

I believe he's talking about the spa.
    Sorry.....the spa.

Put the heater on for the pool to see if it would move.....Jan.... 1 or 2 hours...did not increase 1 degree.....
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter