Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Best SWG

I realize this is a question that may yield a subjective answer, but can anyone provide a solid recommendation for a SWG for a 120,000 gallon neighborhood pool. There are a lot of brands and I am looking for some guidance before I start getting quotes.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best SWG

Here's an objective answer: all of them work the same way and are about equally reliable. The bells and whistles vary a bit between lines and manufacturers, but none are far and away better than any other.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

With that size pool you'll need a commercial unit and/or parallel units. Autopilot or Pentair is probably your best bet.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Great info. Thanks much. I am waiting on quotes right now. One of the pool companies we are looking at is really against SWGs. So, at this point, I am on the fence. Cost will be the biggest determining factor as to whether we stay with stick, switch back to liquid or migrate to SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

Part of the cost will be installation. Your existing plumbing and equipment configuration will have a lot to do with it.

Do you regularly replace a percentage of pool water?

Do you use ORP?

What are you using today?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to make sure that the system is NSF50 certified, and is sized to meet your local Department of Health Guidelines. Where are you located?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I am in Cobb County GA. The Health Department requires the the free residual chlorine be between 3.0 and 5.0. My understanding is that SWG systems would be hard pressed to achieve that level without supplemental chlorine being added. Especially on a 120,000 gallon pool.

Is that true - or is that anti-salt rhetoric?

8. Back To Top    #8

Anti-salt rhetoric. An adequately sized system will have no problem maintaining that, with a normal amount of CYA. What does the health department say about CYA levels?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

According to Cobb County Health, here are the Pool Chemical requirements

Free Unstabilized Chlorine 1.5ppm - 10ppm, ideal 3.0ppm - 5.0ppm

Free Stabilized Chlorine 3.0ppm - 10.0ppm, ideal 3.0ppm to 5.0ppm

Calcium Hardness 150ppm - 1000ppm, ideal 200ppm - 400ppm

Total Alkalinity 60ppm - 180ppm, ideal 80ppm - 120ppm

Cyanuric Acid 0ppm - 100ppm, ideal 30ppm-50ppm

For a 120000 gallon pool, roughly what would a system consist of, and cost, to be robust enough to provide the proper pool chemistry and be a reliable system for years.

10. Back To Top    #10

Chill, GA state guidelines call for 3 lbs/10,000 gallons per day. At 120,000 gallons, that would be 36 lbs/day output max.
    Cobb County only calls for it to be NSF and to maintain 1-5 ppm, which would depend on your flow rate. At a 6 hr turnover (333 gpm), you need 20 lbs/day output.
    This is per the Dept of Environmental Health.
    I can check with them again to confirm and verify if you can use a dual system configuration, that is, salt with a bleach or tab back up system. I'll get back with you on this.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com