Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New project pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New project pool owner

Brand new to the forum and looking forward to input from everyone here. Last year I purchased a home in SW Oregon with an indoor inground pool that has been out of service since July 2009. Its a gunite / plaster pool around 24000 gal. I know I need a new pump and heat system and have performed all the calcs. for these. I also plan on replacing my sand in the filter since its been sitting so long. I have noticed some cracks in the plaster that are approx. 1/16" wide and run for several feet. Some friend with pools tell me not to worry about them and that I should fill the pool and see if it loses any water before worrying about repairing them. I also want to seal the elect cord/conduit at the rear of the light niche before putting water in it. It was sealed (poorly) by previous owner with a putty (epoxy). I am thinking about using a butyl tape for this application. Are there
    other things I need to be thinking about before filling it up to test for leaks? I have done some limited pressure testing of the plumbing lines and am concerned that the returns may have a leak. The local pool company said its best to test them when full of water and not with air so I stopped for the time being. Thanks for any information or comments in advance. I also have pics of the cracks if they are needed.
    Roseburg, Oregon
    IG indoor 24000 Gal. Plaster/Gunite
    No Pump (on the to buy list)
    No Heater (on the to buy list)
    Sand filter
    Pool has been out of service since 2009

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: New project pool owner

Pressure is pressure. Go ahead and test it if you have the gear.

Cracked plaster is not a good thing. Expect to need to replaster.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Diego, CA

Re: New project pool owner

You shouldn't need to plug the light niche - it's designed to be flooded. Unless you know that they plugged tit due to a problem upstream of the niche? Like a leak?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner