Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter and Adding Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter and Adding Bleach

My water temp is 49 degree and looks great. I run my pump when temps fall below freezing which is not that often here In South Carolina. My question is do I need to keep chlorine levels up some during these colder months?
    142OO Gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    AG
    1 1/2 HP Pump
    Charleston SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter and Adding Bleach

Sounds like you are not going to close your pool, I don't either. Chlorine should be maintained just as it is during the summer, but you'll notice your chlorine usage is a whole lot lower.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Robbie for the advice, you are right I am not going to close it this year.
    142OO Gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    AG
    1 1/2 HP Pump
    Charleston SC

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. And as Robbie says, it won't use very much. I doubt if I use 1/2 gallon a week right now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I run my pump when temps fall below freezing
    I don't close or cover my pool, either. I do run my pump every day.....only for an hour or so but I like to keep the water moving. I also run my robot as much as it takes to keep the pool clean. I'm not sure if it will shut down if the water gets REALLY cold but we'll see.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, I'm running my pump a couple of hours a day and the robot when I remember
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't close my pool this winter. I still run my pump daily and ensure that it runs anytime the temp approaches freezing. At first, I was still testing regularly and adjusting my pump's run time depending on the conditions.

I've found maintain the pool in the winter can be a real pain, especially to my hands my water is getting really cold. So, I've become really lazy. I pretty much just run the pump from late evening until late morning which is almost always covers the hours when the weather approaches freezing. If we get a really cold spat, I'll run it 24/7 until it passes. Also, started adding 1 jug of bleach a week. Its easy to remember and easy to explain to my wife if I can't get to it. But even at that rate, my FC has been climbing (I still test the water). I don't mind so much, since it provides a little insurance and allows me to skip a dose from time to time.

If I was less cold adverse (lol, read lazy) I'm sure I could get away with running the pump much less and adding less bleach each week.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim