Robot for Above Ground

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
Yeah, I know, there are a lot of threads that discuss aspects of this but I get a headache trying to digest the info and keeping it all straight. One thread says the Blue Diamond gets good reviews and when I look at the reviews, they are not stellar. A friend at the pool store swears by the Dolphin M3 but reviews are mixed there too. And so on. Wish there was a Consumer Reports like source.

Anyway, we live on the water (salt) in a sometimes harsh environment...in fact had to close it early last year because Hurricane Irene loaded it up with salt water and marsh grass. Once I get it open this spring, I do not want to have to be vacuuming all the time (I know I will at the beginning). The Polaris doesn't do diddly except run around one area (and I've done all the adjustments). Even manual vacuuming is sketchy because the next day stuff is back. The stuff is usually fine...not many leaves etc.

What are the top 3 or 4 robots, up to around $1000. This will be for a 20x40 above ground, 29,000 gal, light to med use, new SWG. BTW: why do they often differentiate beween AG and IG?

Thanks much...want to do some research while it is cold. Steve

There was a discussion somewhere in this forum about someone who got an IG vacuum and used it in an above ground pool -- the vacuum ended up going too fast and not handling the bumps in the bottom of the AG pool very well. So perhaps the difference is in assumptions about the nature or smoothness of the pool floor...The dolphin m3 looks like a great vacuum but is it limited to floor only?(I thought the version 3 of several of their models is floor only..might want to double check)...I guess that might work fine, but you'll need to find out if your local dolphin reseller (who will be responsible for all your vacuum repairs) is within reasonable distance and can get the m3 and whether they'll support it for an AG pool...I couldn't find anyone in San Diego with access to the m4/m5 when I looked to use with my IG pool. Ended up going to leslies and getting a deluxe 5 instead.

I'm bumping this for any new thoughts since I'm about to do something. My Mom and Pop run pool store (who I like and respect and want to support) is going to let me try a Dolphin M3 (or 4). Just trying to justify spending that much. No robot will climb our walls since the Splash Pools lean in. That's not an issue for me. I just want the bottom clean without clogging the pump filter and backwashing and without me having to vac everyday and sometimes 2x. We're in a harsh environment on the Outer Banks.

Thanks for any suggestions. Steve

I've had several from the Kleen machine, to the Pool Rover Jr....which gets rave reviews...I however hated it, and it didn't do much at all for me. So I sold it....I now own a Dolphin Diagnostic wall climber model. I have an AGP and it works fabulously! I love it, and I think it would suck the paint off a car if it could! I opened to a green swamp this season, and my bottoms was brown with gunk....each pass the Dolphin made it was absolutely clean under it. I think this robot's a keeper!

Flyweed.. Does your Dolphin climb your pool walls? I have a 21' round above that is sunk in the ground and covered with a deck. I'd like to pick up a robotic, and was wondering if the Dolphin can handle the round walls.

Thanks,
Scott

I went with the Dolphin Supreme M4. Expensive but love it. Enjoying the pool for the first time ever. I posted on another thread more detail.

Scott: I have a Splash Super Pool and did not expect it to climb the wall because they curve inward. Surprising it does. It may not do it thoroughly but I bet it will on a more vertical wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.