Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Robot for Above Ground

1. Back To Top    #1

Robot for Above Ground

Yeah, I know, there are a lot of threads that discuss aspects of this but I get a headache trying to digest the info and keeping it all straight. One thread says the Blue Diamond gets good reviews and when I look at the reviews, they are not stellar. A friend at the pool store swears by the Dolphin M3 but reviews are mixed there too. And so on. Wish there was a Consumer Reports like source.

Anyway, we live on the water (salt) in a sometimes harsh environment...in fact had to close it early last year because Hurricane Irene loaded it up with salt water and marsh grass. Once I get it open this spring, I do not want to have to be vacuuming all the time (I know I will at the beginning). The Polaris doesn't do diddly except run around one area (and I've done all the adjustments). Even manual vacuuming is sketchy because the next day stuff is back. The stuff is usually fine...not many leaves etc.

What are the top 3 or 4 robots, up to around $1000. This will be for a 20x40 above ground, 29,000 gal, light to med use, new SWG. BTW: why do they often differentiate beween AG and IG?

Thanks much...want to do some research while it is cold. Steve
    Cedar Island NC (Southern Outer Banks)
    Splash Super Pool (40x20)
    29,000 gal; AG; Sand Filter; 1.5HP pump. Use the cosmic Taylor Test Kit
    New Aquarite SWG w/T-15 cell; New Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Robot for Above Ground

I'm happy with mine.
    smart-pool-nitro-smartkleen-universal-review-t35445.html?hilit=nitro%20smartkleen

Universal model is for IG and AG pools.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

There was a discussion somewhere in this forum about someone who got an IG vacuum and used it in an above ground pool -- the vacuum ended up going too fast and not handling the bumps in the bottom of the AG pool very well. So perhaps the difference is in assumptions about the nature or smoothness of the pool floor...The dolphin m3 looks like a great vacuum but is it limited to floor only?(I thought the version 3 of several of their models is floor only..might want to double check)...I guess that might work fine, but you'll need to find out if your local dolphin reseller (who will be responsible for all your vacuum repairs) is within reasonable distance and can get the m3 and whether they'll support it for an AG pool...I couldn't find anyone in San Diego with access to the m4/m5 when I looked to use with my IG pool. Ended up going to leslies and getting a deluxe 5 instead.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm bumping this for any new thoughts since I'm about to do something. My Mom and Pop run pool store (who I like and respect and want to support) is going to let me try a Dolphin M3 (or 4). Just trying to justify spending that much. No robot will climb our walls since the Splash Pools lean in. That's not an issue for me. I just want the bottom clean without clogging the pump filter and backwashing and without me having to vac everyday and sometimes 2x. We're in a harsh environment on the Outer Banks.

Thanks for any suggestions. Steve

5. Back To Top    #5

Let us know how it works out for you. I've been thinking about one for a while now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've had several from the Kleen machine, to the Pool Rover Jr....which gets rave reviews...I however hated it, and it didn't do much at all for me. So I sold it....I now own a Dolphin Diagnostic wall climber model. I have an AGP and it works fabulously! I love it, and I think it would suck the paint off a car if it could! I opened to a green swamp this season, and my bottoms was brown with gunk....each pass the Dolphin made it was absolutely clean under it. I think this robot's a keeper!
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm still happy with my Nitro Universal (NC-22). It picks up leaves, acorns and the such.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Flyweed.. Does your Dolphin climb your pool walls? I have a 21' round above that is sunk in the ground and covered with a deck. I'd like to pick up a robotic, and was wondering if the Dolphin can handle the round walls.

Thanks,
    Scott

9. Back To Top    #9

I went with the Dolphin Supreme M4. Expensive but love it. Enjoying the pool for the first time ever. I posted on another thread more detail.

Scott: I have a Splash Super Pool and did not expect it to climb the wall because they curve inward. Surprising it does. It may not do it thoroughly but I bet it will on a more vertical wall.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks so much - I appreciate the info!

11. Back To Top    #11

SNG- Yes the Dolphin Diagnostic Does indeed climb the walls on my AGP...up to the waterline....and then heads back down into the pool...It's a great robot.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks! Sounds like that's the one that I want!