How to change in-ground pool circulation pop up settings

May 10, 2011
Las Vegas NV
My pool has in-ground cleaners which went in cycles, about 40 secs each cycle and cleaned the pool very well. I just had the pool heater replaced and the guy who put the heater in said he re-did the circulation and set the pop ups to be on the entire time, however my pool doesn't get clean at all now. The pop ups on the pool steps are always on and the pop ups on the pool bottom never come up so the dirt/ debris just sits in the middle of the pool. I would like to figure out how to put the pop ups back on cycles without having the guy come back, didn't care for him. Can anyone tell me how I can do this? When I bought the house there was no manuals for anything on the pool, here is some pictures.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 107
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 108
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 107
sassy:

I sounds like your in-floor cleaning system module is inop.
This system is not too complicated.
You have a module, the brain. It is usually located closer to the pool than the other equipment.
It will look a bit like a spaceship, dome shaped with one pipe coming in the top and 5-6 out of the bottom. Often they will have a metal clamp around the middle.

The function of the module is to change from one zone to the next on a set time schedule, so everything stays clean.
It sounds like your system is stuck on the "stair" zone, and not switching to any other zone. So you have one really clean streak from each of your stair jets, an dirty pool!

First, check your basic flow stuff. Check the filter and see if it could be dirty, same for pump and skimmer baskets. Low flow can cause it not to switch zones. Also, there my be a strainer on the pipe going into the top of the module. If you see a breakaway union on top of the module, open it up an see if there is a strainer there. Clean it if it is dirty, and check system operation again.

Then, if nothing there worked, take a picture of the module, and let us know what the pressure is on top of the gauge at the module, if it has one.

Good luck!
-B.

Thanks B,

You described in-floor cleaning system perfectly. I located and opened and there was a piece that was lodged in there to keep one pop up open. I couldn't find a piece that was broken or where it could have come from, although the coloring and size was same as inside. Once I removed it my system is back to rotating and my pool is clean. :whoot:

I assume the guy who installed the new pool heater put it in there, as he said he fixed my pop up system, which actually messed it up.

Thanks again for your help and helping me become more pool savvy! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.