Valve actuator gone haywire!

Apr 18, 2010
Lake Forest, CA
My CVA-24T valve actuator (right at main pump, valve to switch between pool suction or spa suction) has begun rotating back and forth without stopping. At one end stop it grinds, "bounces" back and forth, and then proceeds to the other stop, then starts all over again.

Yesterday, all was working fine. Ran the spa last night for the first time since the new year, no problems. This morning, no spillway from the spa, and I found the actuator freaking out. I've shut it all down, and had to throw the breaker on the Easy Touch panel to kill power to the actuator.

Of course it's a saturday and pool builder is closed (pool is 1.5 yrs. old). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Tim

Updating...

Removed actuator and tried to move valve manually...valve can't move to one end completely. Must be obstructed, right? We've had tons of winds in SoCal and maybe some debris was sucked in at the spa intake last night? Off to learn how to open the valve up and see what I can see...

-Tim

Thanks, Scott.

Well, opened up the vavle and pulled out 2 long pieces of plastic visqueen, all bunched up in there. The plastic sheeting was all covered in bits of the pool plaster (stuck to the sheeting like glue), and I am sure this is from construction. Hard to believe, but I think this sheeting has been in the plumbing from day 1, and has finally worked its way to the valve.

Since we opened the pool, I've been finding bits of plaster in the pump baskets, and did not know where it was coming from. Now I know...

-Tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.