Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When are 90deg turns ok ?

1. Back To Top    #1

When are 90deg turns ok ?

Builder says originally how there are no 90 deg in his pool. Then when plumbed I brought some in the steel to his attention and he said oh no the returns can have 90's just not feeds. He said to prevent a 90 he uses a swoop 45. Ok I buy that but today after a lot of plumbing is put in I went out and find several feed lines with 90's. Of course they had buried the joints but i uncovered them when I got curious. So when is it ok to use 90's?
    Mark ---San Antonio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When are 90deg turns ok ?

It is ok to use 90s wherever you need them and it really doesn't matter where you put them, they will have the same effect no matter where you put them. They have about twice the head loss as a 45 or swept 90 but even so, it is usually not worth the effort or cost to use them instead of a 90 unless you have a ton of them.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

My understanding is that it's an optimization problem -- first get large enough pipes, then put in the easy turns, if you have to put 90's in a few places...probably OK, they will hurt most only at high speeds (e.g. solar) when small changes in head loss require increases in pump power. The contract with my builder required lazy turns wherever possible, but we still ended up having to put in a several 90's at the equipment pad just to keep the piping from getting unmanageable with all the various connections.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

4. Back To Top    #4

Increasing pipe size will gain you more in efficiency than changing from 90s to swept 90s. For example, replacing 10 90s with swept 90s might gain you 1% in efficiency but upsizing the pipe from 2" to 2.5" while still using 90s would gain you about 3%. Of course doing both you gain you about 4%. Either way it isn't a lot of savings. The pump size/speed has a much bigger impact.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

this thread reminded me of these pics

6. Back To Top    #6

That's what I call over optimizing! But hey if you're going to go big you may as well go BIG!
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    this thread reminded me of these pics

I'm glad we used 90's, that looks really messy.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah I think using the sweeps instead of 90s is a bit of gilding the lilly. Just use a smart layout and I dont think you are going to be unhappy with using 90s instead of sweeps. It would be a loooooooong long time before the difference in efficiency would pay for the difference. And if you just have money to burn, there are better places to optimize the efficiency.

Just my 2 cents.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

OK thanks I feel better- I just wish they would not make a big deal out of how they use 45's then use 90's when it make little difference- The discrepancy just makes me question them on little things. I guess I need to just sit back and forget it.
    Mark ---San Antonio