Hi. I am new here and I hope I added enough info to my signature. We have never had a pool but I am committed to swimming in it this summer. We've had several quotes thus far on how to get it to swim-worthy shape and the consensus is that we need to re-plaster. That being said, I do not think I need to worry how to get my pool from black to clear since it will all need to be pumped out to re-plaster, right? The pool has no leaks and the deck and coping are in excellent shape, says everyone. 30% of the tiles are loose, though. The current plaster is the original plaster...34 years old. We are in SC and near the water so we would definitely need to de-water from underneath the pool. We have a piping system in place that can evacuate the water from underneath the pool. We have no idea how to work it, though. Quotes just to de-water underneath the pool with a pump are $2K. Then we need to shovel all the gunk that is down at the bottom, which we would like to do ourselves. My brother is in the concrete business. He says he would like to help me DIY re-plaster. Recent quotes for re-plastering are coming in at $9K for white standard plaster to $15K for pebble finish top of the line with 15 year warranty. Tile quotes are coming in at $3-5K for total replacement. Here are some of my questions...
1. Is re-plaster a DIY job or should the pros handle it?
2. Where can I find raves/reviews on types of plaster
3. Does anyone know how to de-water underneath a pool? Does it take a pro to do this?
4. Where can I find some great info on easier ways to clean out the sludge in the bottom of my pool?
5. If I was thinking about going to saltwater, is now the time to do it, or should I wait til I know more about how my pool operates and my preferences?
sorry for all the questions. If I am posting in the wrong area...can someone tell me where I should be posting? Thanks!
PS I would like to put in pics, but I cant understand how to do that...can anyone help with that?