Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair cartridge filter comparison

1. Back To Top    #1

Lafayette, Louisiana

Pentair cartridge filter comparison

Hi folks!

Does anyone know the difference between the Pentar Clean&Clear Plus filters? I'm getting close to ordering my pump/filter and am still debating a little between sand or cartridge, but leaning toward cartridge. I'm looking at the specs on the two larger size cartridge filters, the CCP420 and the CCP520. I realize the 520 has more surface area, but they both have the same flow rates and specs. Here's a link to Pentairs site info.

I'm wondering what is the difference here other than cost and physical size? I'll be pairing whichever filter I use with an Intelliflo pump for a ~33K gallon pool.

Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

2. Back To Top    #2

Burbank, IL
    You wouldn't have to clean the 520 as often because it has more surface area. I'm guessing that's the only difference given that they are supposed to both have equal flow rates.
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Folsom, Ca
    Bigger is always better, as a rule I say more filter than you need is always better. I personally would go Sta-Rite System 3 300 or 450 sq/ft or the Jandy CL series. I don't like the sock deal design on the interior vent tube. The Sta-Rite System 3 is one of the most durable and most user friendly. The only down fall is not being able to use a knock off cartridge when the OEM wears out, not to worry the OEM cartridges last a very long time.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
    "Wow! What a Ride!"

15K IG Jandy Stealth 1hp, Jandy Aqua Pure 1400, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge, Jandy LXI Heat. Polaris Booster W/ 380 Cleaner Spa.