Pool & Spa System Sanitizers

Welcome to TFP!

There really are no good alternatives.

Bromine is good, but can't be stabilized against sunlight, so it isn't ideal in an outdoor pool.

Biguanide works well at first, but it is expensive and a lot of people start having problems with it after around three years.

The copper/silver/ion systems aren't real sanitizers. They are primarily algaecides that keep the water looking nice, but their activity against viruses and bacteria is too slow for pool safety.

Stick with chlorine, whether in a feeder, by adding bleach or a SWCG. It works and is about as inexpensive as any method of sanitation.

Thank you for your response. My main concern prior to looking into a pool have been the health hazards associated with chlorine. I also understand that some have sensationalized health hazards with chlorine to sell their own chlorine free pool sanitizers. Being new to the pool community, this will our very first pool. With my daughter ezema (skin condition) she doesn't react well with chlorine pools so I was looking for other alternatives. I was introduced to the clfree copper / titanium sanitizer&oxidation pool system. Pretty expensive and not sure if it really works.

There's quite a bit of info here on the forum as that's a popular topic. Search "alternate sanitizers". You will soon find very few positive words about them. (unless someone is trying to sell one....we try to weed those out)

For the vast majority of people who have had a negative experience, the sensitivity to chlorine is almost always the result of a poorly managed chlorine pool. Properly kept, a chlorine pool is fairly odorless and, well, troublefree!

Most of the time, the problems people have in chlorinated pools are the result of inadequate chlorine and the intermediate chloramines that are produced when there is insufficient chlorine in the water. A well maintained chlorine pool is virtually indistinguishable from tap water by smell or appearance.

I might add that because this PB is willing to sell you one of these CL-Free systems, he should be watched like a hawk. These things are dangerous to the health of your family and guests. He is putting his profit ahead of your safety. What else will he compromise for his profit?

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.