Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intellitouch/EasyTouch & Bubblers

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intellitouch/EasyTouch & Bubblers

Although this is probably not going to happen this year, I'm considering upgrading to a Pentair Intellitouch or EasyTouch automation system for our pool down the road.

Our pool has two bubblers in the tanning ledge, and I'm wondering if either of these systems can vary the height of the bubbler streams or if they're simply on or off? Currently, the height of the bubblers is controlled by varying the valve opening over at the equipment pad, and I'm curious to know if I could vary it with one of these automation systems?
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intellitouch/EasyTouch & Bubblers

I have the EasyTouch and I don't believe it can unless perhaps a variable pump can be used to adjust the flow. I have two bubblers on my tanning ledge as well and I adjust the value openings manually and then use the EasyTouch (with remote keypad) to turn the bubblers on and off with the push of a button. After setting the valves for the bubblers the first time, I've never felt the need to adjust them. Then again, we hardly use the bubblers.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I figured....an automation system can control opening/closing the valves, but the degree to which they're opened is done manually. Thanks for confirming my guess.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't see why this couldn't be done by simply making a feature duplicated but with a different pump speed attached to it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I see how this could be possible by varying the pump speed. But, since our pool only has one single speed pump, the cost may not be worth it.

I'm still intrigued, though, by the Intellitouch/EasyTouch systems....especially the ability to control the pool equipment with my iPhone and/or iPad.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you have an available valve actuator(socket on the board), you can adjust the opening of the bubbler port to the flow you want. Only thing is, it will be a set opening all the time(not adjustable from the panel).

Look into the prices of the ability to control from your i-phone before you buy. The base intellitouch does not come with those abilities, those are (expensive) upgrades.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! You're right....I had assumed the Intellitouch <--> Screenlogic interface would be affordable. Looks like I would need Pentair p/n 520500, and that runs close to $500. And it's not even clear from Pentair's brochure if this provides a wireless interface via WiFi to my router, or if it requires a cable run to my router.

Maybe I should be looking at a different brand of pool automation equipment?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn
    Wow! You're right....I had assumed the Intellitouch <--> Screenlogic interface would be affordable. Looks like I would need Pentair p/n 520500, and that runs close to $500. And it's not even clear from Pentair's brochure if this provides a wireless interface via WiFi to my router, or if it requires a cable run to my router.

Maybe I should be looking at a different brand of pool automation equipment?

You should use the easytouch and with the money saved buy the screenlogic interface.

You can vary height of bubblers by installing solenoid valves on the line supplying the bubblers

You set each solenoid valve to give a certain ammount of water to the bubblers and setup the controller to activate 1, or both of the valves.

I don't know the size or flow of the bubblers so I cannot suggest the valves you would use, but it could be done in and inexpensive fashion.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Racket....thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I will go with the Easytouch if I go this way at all. There's an additional cost involved in this, though, as I've learned from Pentair that I would need to run an ethernet cable from the protocol adapter (part of the Screenlogic kit) to my wireless router. And, since my wireless router's on the 2nd floor of our house, and since there's no network cabling anywhere inside the house, the cost of running the cable, patching all the holes needed to run the cable, and painting the patched holes might rule this out completely.

10. Back To Top    #10

Whoops....just read the response from Pentair again, and it appears that I CAN get a wireless kit (their p/n 520639) that would allow me to connect the Easytouch to the protocol adapter wirelessly.

LOL....now to see how much the wireless kit will cost....!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn
    Whoops....just read the response from Pentair again, and it appears that I CAN get a wireless kit (their p/n 520639) that would allow me to connect the Easytouch to the protocol adapter wirelessly.

LOL....now to see how much the wireless kit will cost....!
    You can also use a wifi bridge.

Basically you take a router, and turn it into a receiver of the wifi signal instead of the transmitter.

A google search will help you figure out how to setup a wifi bridge.

12. Back To Top    #12

Racket....that would also involve mounting the bridge into a waterproof/weatherproof enclosure, as it has to be hardwired to the protocol adapter, right?

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Well yes, and no.

The bridge could be in a nearby building with a wire running between the protocol adapter and the bridge.

I keep forgetting that this is one of the few places where everyone puts their equipment inside.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'll have to do some digging to see if anyone makes an outdoor-approved bridge unit. If it's significantly less expensive than Pentair's, I'd go that route....otherwise stick with Pentair.