Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting to add borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting to add borax

Hi everyone!

I am starting to add borax to my pool for the first time. Pool calculator says 1112oz by weight for 40 ppm from 0 ppm. Thats a lot of borax!

Any tips on adding it to the pool? Should i just gradually add it so that it doesnt sit at the bottom while keeping an eye on pH?

Also the pool paramaters are: (pool is closed)

FC 1.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.7
    CYA 65
    CH 260
    TA 90
    Temp 49F

Any tips from where to get borax at a good price?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting to add borax

This should help: http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-yo...how-t4921.html

I got mine from Walmart.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you use 20 Mule Team Borax, you can find it in the laundry aisle. Places like Walmart or Target usually have the best prices. However, if you use borax you will also need MA to bring the pH back down to normal levels. Read this thread about adding borates for directions. Borax dissolves pretty quickly, so if you dust it around the perimeter of the pool with the pump running it will mix in fairly quickly. You may want to go ahead and drop the pH down to 7.2 before you start adding borates since you are at the upper end of the recommended range at this time.

You may also choose to use boric acid which does not require MA to lower pH, or a commercially prepared tetraborate pentahydrate solution from a pool store. Pool store borates will be much more expensive. You can select your source of borates on the pool calculator to determine how much you will need.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies!

You guys are wonderful!

I had lost the link to that post and couldnt find it by searching!

Just called a local target and they said they have 20 team mule borax 76oz for 3.49.... this is the best price i have seen yet...guess what i am doing as soon as i get off work?
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

You think that's a lot of borax, you should have seen how many boxes I had!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL!

I brought half of it yesterday as the target only had 7 boxes.... once you see it physically, it doesnt seem all that much!
    Suley, West Hills, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Suley, do you have the appropriate amount of acid to reduce the pH?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I took a pic... I don't recall if this was all of it, but I don't think so.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Been there done that. I switched to Boric Acid, much easier and about the same price.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

WOW!

I think I am more comfortable now... since a 44K gallon took that much, mine should be almost half of that which is exactly what was calculated by the pool calculator...

Right now i am stocking up on the supplies as the $$ becomes available and will be doing the conversion as soon as i have it all together... So yes I will be getting tons of acid too...

Actually, I have to do quite a few things before opening the pool this summer... ascorbic acid treatment, replace spa drain cover, replace the suction side and return valves, maybe replace some missing tiles and boy o boy it will be a dream come true to have a SWG also!

I think it is too late for boric acid now since i have 7 boxes of borax in the garage already!
    Suley, West Hills, CA

11. Back To Top    #11

You can use both. The nice thing about boric acid is you really don't need nearly as much acid.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm considering adding borates to my 30,000 pebble tech salt pool. How much boric acid is needed in comparison to buying Borax? Does boric acid come in different concentrations? Chemistrystore.com sells a 50# bag of boric acid for $81.00. Seems even cheaper than using Borax from Wal-Mart. Am I missing something? Just checking as I've never used borates in my pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't know the answer to your question but someone will be along soon that does, just wanted to say welcome to the forum!
    The POOL Calculator will show you, see my sig.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

There are also choices of "granular" or "powdered" boric acid, which one of these is preferred? Just as a reference my 33000 gal pool would need 79 lb to get to a 50 borate level.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

Starting to add borax

After a little research (and shipping costs and MA costs) I can accomplish the same borate level with Borax from Wal-Mart for less than buying BA from the online sources. Shipping is a killer/deal breaker.

16. Back To Top    #16

Bobby, I think I remember somebody recommending granular because the powder blew around and made a big mess.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Bobby, I think I remember somebody recommending granular because the powder blew around and made a big mess.
    Never used either, but I would guess the granular would be easier to handle, but slower to dissolve.

18. Back To Top    #18

Using boric acid was a little more expensive but you don't need to purchase acid and overall it was easier for me. I believe pool calculator will figure out the amount if you use boric acid vice borax.