Raypak vs Sta-Rite/Pentair heaters

There is no need for the extra money on the Low-Nox feature.

Of the two, I prefer the Pentair even though it costs a little more. Both make great units but I have found the Pentair to be a little less likely to have an issue later, is easier to work on, and since it's control panel can be turned during installation to face the desired direction, makes the small delta in price worthwhile.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
There is no need for the extra money on the Low-Nox feature.

Of the two, I prefer the Pentair even though it costs a little more. Both make great units but I have found the Pentair to be a little less likely to have an issue later, is easier to work on, and since it's control panel can be turned during installation to face the desired direction, makes the small delta in price worthwhile.

Scott
I totally agree with him. Pentair all the way.

I personally like Raypak / Rheem. On the raypak/ rheem models the inlet/outlet of the headers can be switched to the other side just by unscrewing the nuts. Personally the only times I've had one break was due to
a rodent eating some of the wires on the display board
customers letting the water go extremely acidic for a very long time (although no heater can really handle this forever)

Maybe it's just a regional thing but I've never seen a Max-E-Therm in person on a pool. It looks neat, actually looks more like a sand filter.
Naturally I can't say anything about the Max-E-Therm having never worked on it but I can tell you what I like about the Rheem models

I like the tall skinny design (compared to hayward)
you can swap the header side.
newer models have a UV shield that protects the display board from the sun.
non-complicated controls, Mode button functions are "on/off/pool temp setting/ spa temp setting/" and then up and down for warmer or colder.
icons on display to show you if the heater is burning and any error codes (error codes are also posted on the door panel)
customer service is helpful on the phone
Union nuts come off an on easily (very UNLIKE haywards which you spend 30 minutes trying to get back on without cross-threading)
Regardless of what you pick don't go hayward as I was never impressed with their heaters. Everything else they make is pretty cool though.

The Pentair and Sta-Rite heaters are the same except for the skins.

While Hayward and Ray-Pak/Rheem can have the header set on either side, the Pentair/Sta-Rite have it available on 3 sides.

The Pentair isn't quite as fussy as the others with fuel supply pressure, especially if the pressure is on the high side.

Scott

One of the nice features on the Sta-Rite heaters is the high impact plastic housing so you do need to worry about corrosion or rusting on the cabinet of the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.