Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cold Climate Solar Panel Winterizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Cold Climate Solar Panel Winterizing

For owners of solar panels who live in cold (freezing) climates, do you take down your solar panel runs for the winter or do you just thoroughly drain and leave up. I seem to recall people stating they drain/leave up but I noticed the Fafco booklet says to take down.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cold Climate Solar Panel Winterizing

I have Fafco SunSaver and Revolution panels that are mounted on the roof so they stay up but my local solar installer comes by and removes some pipe end caps and makes sure they are drained. However, I'm not in as cold a climate and only have a few days a year below freezing.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Can i ask, is that procedure included when you bought solar or is there a small charge every year? thanks.
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

Small charge every year. If one wants to do it oneself, one can. You just shut off the system and remove a few caps at the bottom of some of the panels to allow full draining and then reverse the procedure for spring opening. I just don't bother getting up on the roof to do it and I like them coming out and inspecting the panels for any issues during spring opening.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"