Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: double-checking on TA and CH tests

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Forest, CA

double-checking on TA and CH tests

I've searched and found some information from other posts on this, and just wanted to double-check that I'm interpreting things correctly. I'm currently using the Taylor K-2006 kit.

TA, 25 ml sample: After 6 drops it took some swirlling for the red to go away, but the sample did end up an obvious green. After 7 drops the sample ended up making an obvious change from green to red. I added an 8th drop, and the sample got a bit deeper of a red. The ninth did nothing. So I take it that I'm at a TA of 80?

CH, 10 ml sample: I took my time and swirled a while in between drops. After 14 drops the sample was still red. After adding the 15th drop the sample turned blue, and was a pretty obvious change from red to blue. It was not a perfect blue, perhaps hinted at a lavender, but it seemed that there were no hints left of the red color at all. After adding the 16th drop, the sample got just a bit more blue, not a darker blue, just a bit "truer" of a blue perhaps, and it seemed the the little floating particles were now more blue than they were after 15 drops. I added a 17th drop, and the sample may still have turned a slightly truer blue, but if it did it wasn't much. Right now I'm thinking that I'll consider my hardness at 400 (16 drops). If there was perhaps a slightly truer blue (but not really any deeper) after 17 drops, should I be thinking 425 on the hardness? Either way I seem to have a pretty good idea of my CH.

12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'
    Greg, you seem to be doing the tests, and interpreting them, correctly

Welcome to TFP!! (given your excellent start, I doubt we'll see many questions from you, but if you have any - we'll be here to answer )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

You've got it. The precision you need to maintain your pool water quality is within + or - a drop or two.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School