Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wish me luck

1. Back To Top    #1

Wish me luck

Towards the end of summer, every once in a while when I started the pump manually, I'd just catch a glimpse of a squirt of water by the pump. Never lost prime, no puddles. Around the time of our huge windstorms, the pump started getting noisy. I've been a mechanic long enough to know the sound of a bad bearing. It's still pumping okay, still not losing prime, still not leaking. I let the holidays go past. Now it's time to wrestle the thing out from where it's entrapped by the maze of piping and deal with it.

Fortunately, it looks like I can detach the pump and motor from the housing. This means no cutting pipes. Not sure how I am going to get the thing up and over all the piping yet....

Anyway, that's on the schedule for tomorrow. The water's been maintaining its balance quite well, so I'm dosing it good before I shut it all down.

I'll probably let the local independent pool store do the work. While I do have gear pullers and die grinders and access to a hydraulic bearing press at work, right now time is more important than money.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wish me luck

Good thing that you are getting to handle this issue in the off-season. Good luck!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good luck Richard!
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

There's no doubt that you'll handle it like the professional you are! It'll be a lot easier than getting to some of those auto parts you've surely dealt with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Good luck. Take/post pictures! I'm pretty sure the group loves pictures.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

X2 on the pics please!

7. Back To Top    #7

Pictures wouldn't have been too exciting. Plus the request came after it was out.

But, I did get lucky. It came apart quite easily, no seized bolts or anything. And it didn't weigh as much as I'd thought, either. So it wasn't a big deal lifting it out.

When I went to the pool store, they were watching crimestoppers or something like that on TV. Not the busy season. Not even close. The guy said it would be done today, he'd call. He called maybe an hour and a half later, said the noise was a rock caught behind the impeller, so all he had to do was re-seal it. Under thirty bucks! I woulda guessed the seal kit would be at least twenty!

So, back home, wrestle it in position, bolt it up, reconnect the wires, and go. It works! The whisperflow is whispering again. No water spraying out anywhere, either. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the ground around the pump is dry, as the ground was still wet from disassembly and I wasn't terribly careful when I filled the strainer basket. Let us hope my luck holds.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Got my fingers crossed for you!