Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello Everyone!

I am thinking of converting to SWG....

I am looking at Pentair IC40 SWG cell as my pool is just above the capacity of IC20 but do you think IC20 will still work for 23600 Gallons?

Also, do i have to get another control system or somehow can i just wire the SWG cell to the Pentair intelliflo pump?

Thanks!!

I have roughly the same sized pool but have an IC60 due to intellichem, ic20 would probably work fine from what I've heard but you'd have to run it at a higher rate and it might get challenged if you have an algae outbreak....ic40 was the original recommendation from our pool builder. SWG's don't really have much to be automated, except for knowing when the pump turns on or being remotely turned on/off. I'm not sure if you can get by with just a pump and it.... btw, swgs are dangerous if they ever run w/o water flow, which is why most have a built in flow sensor. Not sure if you can rely on that....probably not the best practice.

>> can i just wire the SWG cell to the Pentair intelliflo pump?

that's what I do with IntelliFlow VF but with a slight modification using a Macromatic Voltage Control/Sense Relay (cost $95.00) -- the relay is always on (just like the VF pump).

the relay monitors the VF power curve and I can dial the required voltage/amps/watts where I want the IntelliChlor IC40 to turn on or turn off. simply stated, when the pump runs a 24hr/slow mode (using less than 95 watts power) -- the IntelliChlor remains off since the flow is so slow and there is no need to keep transformer powered on constantly even though the IC40 sensor would likely detect the flowrate but this way there is no need to rely on the cell .

when power output on the pump exceeds (current setting) circa 145 watts, the relay turns on IntelliChlor as flowrate is now at just about 25 GPM on the pump. the higher flowrate is achieved using the VF Features programming which overrides the Filter programming settings -- this allows for periods or specific weekdays of running the Poolvergnuegen.

Thanks for all the replies!

I am not bent on the intellichlor and was just thinking of Pentair as my pool pump and filter are pentair.

If you guys think CPSC48 is a better choice, i will go for it instead... In fact I would like you guys to guide me as to which brand and model of SWG is good.

I was reading up on SWGs and came across ionizers for ozone generation... What do you guys think of that?

Also, I run my pump 16 hours a day for about a 1.1 water change and have had no issues with algae or skimmer. The pump consumes about 100- 114W. Do you think i will have to increase the speed for higher flow after installing the SWG?

Thanks!

My reason for going with the CPSC48 was due to my pool size. I was given 3 recommendations here, two were for pools no larger than 40,000 gallons. The suggestions I was given were Pentair, AutoPilot, and this CPSC.

I purchased my CPSC48 for $734 from here: http://www.poolnpatio.net/

They have one for up to 24,000 gallons for $541. Some, like bobodaclown, install larger units to reduce the strain on the system, and to hopefully extend cell life.

Other than that, I make no recommendation. I'm not a pool engineer, just the guy who gets to do all the work on the pool his wife and daughter so desperately wanted when we got a new house ;)

RobbieH said:
I'm not a pool engineer, just the guy who gets to do all the work on the pool his wife and daughter so desperately wanted when we got a new house ;)

LOL!

Thanks for the reply... I was thinking on the same lines of getting a CPSC36 which is rated for 40000 Gallons to reduce the strain on the system.

So from the forums experience I will be looking for one of the three brands.

Going to borates will come before the SWG though .. (Due to costs) :eek:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding borates is hands down one of the best decisions I've made for my pool. Cost was low, pH swings have gone away, calcium scaling has stopped, pool is more tolerant of low FC occurrances, I seem to have fewer bugs in the pool than before although there may not be a direct cause/effect - no scientific basis behind this, water feels softer, water stays clearer... shall I go on? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.