Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Think SWG

Hello Everyone!

I am thinking of converting to SWG....

I am looking at Pentair IC40 SWG cell as my pool is just above the capacity of IC20 but do you think IC20 will still work for 23600 Gallons?

Also, do i have to get another control system or somehow can i just wire the SWG cell to the Pentair intelliflo pump?

Thanks!!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Think SWG

I have roughly the same sized pool but have an IC60 due to intellichem, ic20 would probably work fine from what I've heard but you'd have to run it at a higher rate and it might get challenged if you have an algae outbreak....ic40 was the original recommendation from our pool builder. SWG's don't really have much to be automated, except for knowing when the pump turns on or being remotely turned on/off. I'm not sure if you can get by with just a pump and it.... btw, swgs are dangerous if they ever run w/o water flow, which is why most have a built in flow sensor. Not sure if you can rely on that....probably not the best practice.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello,
    I installed a CPSC48 about 8 months ago. It sure makes life easier. Not sure if you're set on buying a Pentair but Compupool does have some great rates.
    Here's a link to my original post with pictures of it installed: cpsc48-install-t32089.html?hilit=cpsc
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

>> can i just wire the SWG cell to the Pentair intelliflo pump?

that's what I do with IntelliFlow VF but with a slight modification using a Macromatic Voltage Control/Sense Relay (cost $95.00) -- the relay is always on (just like the VF pump).

the relay monitors the VF power curve and I can dial the required voltage/amps/watts where I want the IntelliChlor IC40 to turn on or turn off. simply stated, when the pump runs a 24hr/slow mode (using less than 95 watts power) -- the IntelliChlor remains off since the flow is so slow and there is no need to keep transformer powered on constantly even though the IC40 sensor would likely detect the flowrate but this way there is no need to rely on the cell .

when power output on the pump exceeds (current setting) circa 145 watts, the relay turns on IntelliChlor as flowrate is now at just about 25 GPM on the pump. the higher flowrate is achieved using the VF Features programming which overrides the Filter programming settings -- this allows for periods or specific weekdays of running the Poolvergnuegen.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've got a 22,000 gallon pool and have an IC40. I only have to run it at 10%, but I run my pump 24 hours/day. I would imagine if you got an IC20, you would burn it out much quicker and would have to run at a much higher percentage.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

IC-40 for a 22,000 gallon pool.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Hello,
    I installed a CPSC48 about 8 months ago. It sure makes life easier. Not sure if you're set on buying a Pentair but Compupool does have some great rates.
    Here's a link to my original post with pictures of it installed: cpsc48-install-t32089.html?hilit=cpsc
    I just ordered my CPSC48 about 15 minutes ago!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the replies!

I am not bent on the intellichlor and was just thinking of Pentair as my pool pump and filter are pentair.

If you guys think CPSC48 is a better choice, i will go for it instead... In fact I would like you guys to guide me as to which brand and model of SWG is good.

I was reading up on SWGs and came across ionizers for ozone generation... What do you guys think of that?

Also, I run my pump 16 hours a day for about a 1.1 water change and have had no issues with algae or skimmer. The pump consumes about 100- 114W. Do you think i will have to increase the speed for higher flow after installing the SWG?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

9. Back To Top    #9

My reason for going with the CPSC48 was due to my pool size. I was given 3 recommendations here, two were for pools no larger than 40,000 gallons. The suggestions I was given were Pentair, AutoPilot, and this CPSC.

I purchased my CPSC48 for $734 from here: http://www.poolnpatio.net/

They have one for up to 24,000 gallons for $541. Some, like bobodaclown, install larger units to reduce the strain on the system, and to hopefully extend cell life.

Other than that, I make no recommendation. I'm not a pool engineer, just the guy who gets to do all the work on the pool his wife and daughter so desperately wanted when we got a new house
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I'm not a pool engineer, just the guy who gets to do all the work on the pool his wife and daughter so desperately wanted when we got a new house
    LOL!

Thanks for the reply... I was thinking on the same lines of getting a CPSC36 which is rated for 40000 Gallons to reduce the strain on the system.

So from the forums experience I will be looking for one of the three brands.

Going to borates will come before the SWG though .. (Due to costs) )
    Suley, West Hills, CA

11. Back To Top    #11

Adding borates is hands down one of the best decisions I've made for my pool. Cost was low, pH swings have gone away, calcium scaling has stopped, pool is more tolerant of low FC occurrances, I seem to have fewer bugs in the pool than before although there may not be a direct cause/effect - no scientific basis behind this, water feels softer, water stays clearer... shall I go on?

12. Back To Top    #12

I am Convinced!
    Suley, West Hills, CA