My Pool Build List

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
Since my pool got built and I'm coming up on the second summer, I'm cleaning up (deleting) all the material I used to figure out building it myself and building a 20' X 12' elevated deck as well.
I found my 'master' list of all things I wanted to accomplish or needed to do and I can't believe all the work involved pre/post construction, so much of this list was formulated via reading here.
Anyways, hopefully some DIY'ers in the future could find some value in this list, at least it indicates alot of the things that need to be done. All in all I know I skipped/changed a couple of things but probably 98% of this list did actually happen.

Pool Steps – In order

- Measure out 15’ and 18 ‘ pool location with spray paint
o Choose a size and location
o Stick something in the ground to stake center point
o Paint new pool line and redraw deck line so can figure out placement of deck blocks per building specs, need to do this in order to plan deck
- Decide if trees need to be cut down
- Call electrician to confirm pump location and what needs to be upgraded
o 20 amp breaker in box
o Measure amount of wire needed
o Wire: #12/2 rated for outdoor – drill hole thru air conditioner section
o GFCI box
o 15 amp GFCI
- Draw up site plan
- Call pool installer for estimate
- Document all the pool and parts needed
o Spreadsheet on the different company, offerings, and price
- Compare pool pkg’s and decide where to buy
o Confirm with Weirs for shipping, if bought from USA
- Cut trees if required
- Visit rent-all and confirm equipment:
o Sod remover – how much and how to deliver/pick up
- Probe tree line area for roots and assess situation
- Confirm sand is available
o Determine volume for 21’ diameter pool
• Sand Material – 21’ Diameter X 2” deep
o = 2.5 cubic yards (2.1 plus some extra for steps base, cover, filter base and misc, ie: sandbox)
- Confirm site plan with City
o Confirm 21’ proximity to garage
o Make new deck plans
- Order pool
o With Northwest Pools, confirm the pattern of liner and thickness.
- Make a list of pool tools needed so I can get them all ready ahead of time
- Make a list of deck materials needed so I can buy them when on sale
- Make a list of deck tools needed so I can get them ready ahead of time
- Order water sample kit
o Sample home water and figure out BBB plan
- Paint final lines on grass – orange paint
- Pick up pool
- Rent sod cutter and remove sod
- Get permits
- Pool Build
o Remove sod
o Level soil
o Repaint pool line
o Measure deck blocks to pool edge
o Check level at true pool line: re-level as needed
o Assemble lower rails, measure for round
o Cut in patio stones under rail housing
o Check patio stones for level
o Measure rails and stake
o Dump 2.5 yards of sand
o Level out sand and initial compact
o Put up walls
o Cove, second compact
o Liner
o Initial water fill and liner adjust
o Continue water fill, cut skimmer at just below skimmer
o Assemble skimmer, pump, filter
o Top water will
o Top rails and caps
Build deck
o Misc deck stuff to buy:
 New electric drill, good one
 4’ level
 New circular saw blade
 Reciprocating saw
 New set of work gloves
Misc Equipment to Buy:
 shovel for leveling ground
 rake for smoothing sand – 2 pieces of wood on old rake?
 broom
 tamper
 ladder
 tape measure
 duct tape
 clamps
 tent stakes
 hammer
 spray paint
 twine
 utility knife
 4’ level
 12’ board for leveling
 2”x8”x16” patio blocks - 15
 Ground lug
 #8 bare copper (enough to reach from pool wall seam to pump, lug can be installed first and then final amount of cable bought after pool is up)
 Pool timer (Canadian tire)
 GFCI cap for garage – has to be for square outlet, not rounded
 2 regular patio stones for pump/filter, stair steps
 Price out bleach at walmart – val can hunt around for bargains

No "ouch!" intended, my mother was from Soo, Mi. We have pix with snowbanks well over six feet.

Back in the early '60's I saw snow flurries in July there.

I hadn't thought of skating. I've seen skating stuff in pool catalogs but never thought people did skate on pools. Could you, if you desired to? I would be afraid the blades would damage the coping/tile/liner or deck. But, what do I know, I grew up in the south.

It's all good :)
We go shopping in Soo MI all the time (like most people here), we head down to Traverse City as well - I love going there, great city. I love vacationing and traveling in the US.

That's going back before I moved here, 2 years ago I had the privilege of ascending the bridge arch on the US side, pretty amazing climb (I'm the guy in orange shirt, second from the right)

Attachments

• Bridge 068.jpg
    Bridge 068.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 983
  • Bridge 069.jpg
    Bridge 069.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 977
Your pic appears to be taken close to where my grandmother lived, probably a little north of the canal and you are over the lock's canal? Two of my cousins and myself were apprehended, two days before opening, trying to "ride our bikes" to Canada (Our fathers were not amused when we were retrieved at the customs station). Back then, Ontario was about the same size as Mich, last I was there, Ontario was a lot larger with highrise buildings and the like.

I have an uncle and a cousin who replace lights (or did ten years ago) on that thing. I have a habit of falling off high stuff, so I avoid them. This may explain the lack of solar on my pool. You are braver than I, have you done the Mackinac by foot?

That picture is over the US canal into their (your) locks (the Canadian locks are pleasure craft only now), the guy taking the picture is near the Ford dealer, a little west of the Army Engineer Corps building.
There used to be 'Lock Days' on the US side where you could go for a behind the scenes tour, always wanted to do that, not sure if they still do it.

That's classic, a couple of curious kids making a break for it and testing CAN/AM security measures, hate to see what would happen these days. I've never walked Mackinaw but that is an impressive bridge, beautiful little town as well. One day each year they have an SSM bridge walk here, never done it but I believe they let people walk/ride bikes half way and then back.

Not sure of the exact population comparison but SSM Ontario has grown quite a bit larger than SSM Michigan, after all we have the steel mill on our side, so that accounts for a lot of jobs and spin off.
Maybe you recognize some parts of this picture of SSM Michigan from the top of the span, there's a UPS depot in the middle where all us Canadians order US goods and ship them to, then we go across and pick them up. The picture is looking South West from the US span.

Attachments

• misc 031.jpg
    misc 031.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 972

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I have it right, the picture is looking towards Whitefish Bay (right hand side) ? I have a little bit of trouble remembering, as there has been a lot of changes and I always related everything to the power canal, the head, or the power plant. Being from South Georgia, we used location, locals in the Soo used street names (like Ashmund St ?)

Have you been to the maritime museum? and is the Favorite still there (red tugboat)?
Do you know anything about Duck Island and old Gov. Osborn?

A lot cleaner than when I was there last. The Ford dealer would be east of the old tannery (nothing but toxic sink holes). about where the first bridge over the power canal collapsed.

We jumped the fence at the north side of Camp Lukus/LSSC and didn't get very far. I think the road was still on the ground when we were caught. I remember because it one of those "son, I'm disappointed in you..." talks Dad gave me, that I would have preferred a beating to avoid.

Thanks for the pix, really kwel and brings back memories (Like snow on July 11, 1961)

No problem. Still a lot of changes. So the power canal is in the upper right and that is the new Fort St bridge (the road closest, at the bottom is Portage?)? IF so, two blocks up Fort St is where my maternal grandmother lived (vacant lot now) and three blocks up my late aunt lived.

Yup, that sounds right.
This past summer they ripped up much of the roads down town and are re-doing, the down town really comes alive in the summer, we go to the observation deck during the summer and watch the freighters roll thru. Congress is flip-flopping quite a bit on the 'super' lock, they want to rip out the land between two of the locks and create one massive one, with the trillions of "stimulus" dollars being thrown around I'm surprised that "shovel ready" project didn't get funded.

Been on the deck and took a couple of Welch's tours though the locks. There used to be a big parade in Ontario led by Mounties and guys in kilts, really fun for a kid. What seems odd, is about fifteen years ago all of downtown was torn up, when I was there. There has been talk about improving the locking system since the 1960s and probably will continue until the 2060's ........any other other comment, by me, would be political. Of course, the fence around the park was to come down after the Axis was defeated, which is why you cannot enter though the entrance arch.

Ha, from one axis to another I suppose.
There's armed guards there now and to enter the park you have to let them search your bags, it is a beautiful park though, I enjoy bringing my daughter there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.