sequestrant?

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
Is Staintrine a sequestrant? I'm following the startup procedures that Wetedge has given me for the Luna Quartz. And it says to add Staintrine. The gouge on this site says to add a sequestrant? Just wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Thanks Steve

The material safety data sheet for Staintrine shows the active ingredients are 1-HYDROXYETHYLIDENE-1,1-DIPHOSPHONICACID. When you google 1-HYDROXYETHYLIDENE-1,1-DIPHOSPHONICACID the results list that compound as a scale and corrosion inhibitor. It is also shown to be effective against iron and manganese staining. The maker of Staintrine recommends a second product called Resist be "used weekly to prevent metals and minerals from staining pool surfaces". So while staintrine may be advertised as a sequestrant and stain remover, it requires frequent use of a second sequestrant product to protect the pool.

If this is a new pool or newly re-plastered pool I would follow the builder's recommendations in order to protect the warranty. If you are unsure whether or not adding additional sequestrant product to the water will void the warranty then you need to check with the builder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.