Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sequestrant?

1. Back To Top    #1

sequestrant?

Is Staintrine a sequestrant? I'm following the startup procedures that Wetedge has given me for the Luna Quartz. And it says to add Staintrine. The gouge on this site says to add a sequestrant? Just wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Thanks Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sequestrant?

The material safety data sheet for Staintrine shows the active ingredients are 1-HYDROXYETHYLIDENE-1,1-DIPHOSPHONICACID. When you google 1-HYDROXYETHYLIDENE-1,1-DIPHOSPHONICACID the results list that compound as a scale and corrosion inhibitor. It is also shown to be effective against iron and manganese staining. The maker of Staintrine recommends a second product called Resist be "used weekly to prevent metals and minerals from staining pool surfaces". So while staintrine may be advertised as a sequestrant and stain remover, it requires frequent use of a second sequestrant product to protect the pool.

If this is a new pool or newly re-plastered pool I would follow the builder's recommendations in order to protect the warranty. If you are unsure whether or not adding additional sequestrant product to the water will void the warranty then you need to check with the builder.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Thanks also for what you guys do on this site! It has been so informitive
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

4. Back To Top    #4

That ingredient is also known by the abbreviation HEDP which is the recommended metal sequestrant on this forum.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"