New concrete pool leaving half full.

Jan 9, 2012
Argentina
Hi All

We`ve just had a new concrete pool installed on a piece of land we purchased. The problem is because we are still waiting for the electricity supply to be connected we are unable to install the lights in the pool.
So the pool constructors have said to half fill the pool to just below the lights to prevent any cracks until the electricity is installed. Does anyone know how long is safe to leave it like this, we`re hopeful it will be all up and running in a week or two. We`re just concerned of anything happening in the meantime. The constructors are saying they are not taking any responsibilty to what happends whilst its not fully filled with water.

Thanks

J

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

So the pool constructors have said to half fill the pool to just below the lights to prevent any cracks until the electricity is installed.
I might be missing something but not having power to the lights is not relevant as to whether or not the pool can be filled.

Hi

Sorry, the lights are yet to be wired in so there are just 4 holes in the sides of the pools ready for lights. Hence why we cant fill it any more. The electrician is coming today to wire
them all in but until the electricity company switches on the power he wont be able to test them. So the pool will need to be left half full until they are tested.

The pool is concrete/gunite and is rectangular 20ft by 12ft and goes down to a depth of 6ft

Thanks

Yeah you`re right, i`ll suggest he checks the lights work fine first and then wire in all the connections instead of waiting for the mains to be switched on. Didnt think of that, I was told he needed the electricity first.

Thanks

duraleigh said:
Not trying to be thick-headed, .

Maybe i am too :mrgreen:

You can fill a pool up with water and put the light in the niche later. I'ts not as easy for the installer, but it;s done a lot. Mine was done after the pool was filled simply because they forgot to bring the fixture. The power is run to a J-box somewhere behind the pool deck. The power cord on the light is fiched thu the conduit up to the J-box. Unles thi is wired completely different that any i've ever seen.

I'm assuming they didn't run any electric yet? No problem leaving the pool 1/2 full with respect to hydrostatic pressure, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't have had the light installed prior to adding plaster, if that's the case. Only filling 1/2 full with plaster already in place may cause staining and excessive drying of the plaster. I know that when we had our pool filled, it was important to add the water all the way when the plaster was applied and keep water running until full to avoid staining. If the plaster isn't applied yet and it's the concrete shell, you're fine, but that wouldn't make sense to fill the pool before the plaster is applied. Not sure if we have all the details correct from your post? I think PB's sometimes do things in the wrong order just to get their installment payments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the responses.

The pool has been painted so its not bare plaster. Also have been slowly filling the pool upto the light positions. The electrician is coming tomorrow now the electricity has been switched on.
It was an empty plot we are building the pool on so no electricity or water up until now which made things awkward (long story). But it looks like its getting sorted now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.