Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New concrete pool leaving half full.

1. Back To Top    #1

New concrete pool leaving half full.

Hi All

We`ve just had a new concrete pool installed on a piece of land we purchased. The problem is because we are still waiting for the electricity supply to be connected we are unable to install the lights in the pool.
    So the pool constructors have said to half fill the pool to just below the lights to prevent any cracks until the electricity is installed. Does anyone know how long is safe to leave it like this, we`re hopeful it will be all up and running in a week or two. We`re just concerned of anything happening in the meantime. The constructors are saying they are not taking any responsibilty to what happends whilst its not fully filled with water.

Thanks

J
    5300 gallon IG , plaster, sand filter, built Jan 2012,

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New concrete pool leaving half full.

Welcome to the forum.

So the pool constructors have said to half fill the pool to just below the lights to prevent any cracks until the electricity is installed.
    I might be missing something but not having power to the lights is not relevant as to whether or not the pool can be filled.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What type of pool surface? Plaster, Peeble???

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi

Sorry, the lights are yet to be wired in so there are just 4 holes in the sides of the pools ready for lights. Hence why we cant fill it any more. The electrician is coming today to wire
    them all in but until the electricity company switches on the power he wont be able to test them. So the pool will need to be left half full until they are tested.

The pool is concrete/gunite and is rectangular 20ft by 12ft and goes down to a depth of 6ft

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

So the pool will need to be left half full until they are tested
    Not trying to be thick-headed, but he can certainly test continuity with a handheld device. There's not much else to test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah you`re right, i`ll suggest he checks the lights work fine first and then wire in all the connections instead of waiting for the mains to be switched on. Didnt think of that, I was told he needed the electricity first.

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

Not trying to be thick-headed, .
    Maybe i am too

You can fill a pool up with water and put the light in the niche later. I'ts not as easy for the installer, but it;s done a lot. Mine was done after the pool was filled simply because they forgot to bring the fixture. The power is run to a J-box somewhere behind the pool deck. The power cord on the light is fiched thu the conduit up to the J-box. Unles thi is wired completely different that any i've ever seen.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Plaster or pebble??? If you fill it half way with white plaster, you will have a water line stain that will be difficult to remove later. If its pebble, then its not a problem!

9. Back To Top    #9

This is indeed an unusual situation. No electricity? So no lighting or anything at all on the property? Or is it only the pool and its equipment/filter/pump that doesn't have electricity?

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm assuming they didn't run any electric yet? No problem leaving the pool 1/2 full with respect to hydrostatic pressure, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't have had the light installed prior to adding plaster, if that's the case. Only filling 1/2 full with plaster already in place may cause staining and excessive drying of the plaster. I know that when we had our pool filled, it was important to add the water all the way when the plaster was applied and keep water running until full to avoid staining. If the plaster isn't applied yet and it's the concrete shell, you're fine, but that wouldn't make sense to fill the pool before the plaster is applied. Not sure if we have all the details correct from your post? I think PB's sometimes do things in the wrong order just to get their installment payments.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the responses.

The pool has been painted so its not bare plaster. Also have been slowly filling the pool upto the light positions. The electrician is coming tomorrow now the electricity has been switched on.
    It was an empty plot we are building the pool on so no electricity or water up until now which made things awkward (long story). But it looks like its getting sorted now.