Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater on salt water system

1. Back To Top    #1

middle tennessee

Heater on salt water system

Am getting ready to add a goldline salt water system to my above ground pool..
    my question is ,,would it be best to add it before,,or after it goes thru my
    heater?,,or would it make any difference,,,thanks
    Above ground 24'round-vinyl-14,000 gal,,1 speed-2 hp pump, 250 lb sand filter ..heated,,salted,,lighted,,decked,,with slide and pool rover jr.....
    TFP 100,,am doing the BBB thing...Wet is Wild!

2. Back To Top    #2

Brisbane, Australia
    ideally you should have it in parallel with your water heater

in case you add it before, high chlorine concentration will damage your heater core eventually,
    and if you add it after - high water temperature coming out of the heater will decrease your cell life.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD
    Typically the SWG cell goes after the heater on the return going to the pool (not to the spa, if you have a spa). Plumbing in parallel has advantages, but is impractical for all but the largest residential installs because of insufficient flow rates and added complexity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Goldline recommends it be plumbed after the heater, much like an inline chlorinator would be plumbed.